Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Adding an EB0 pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Gord, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    Hey guys,
    I've read alot about billy sheehan (way more than I've listened to him, oddly enough) and in his first precision and signature model, there's a gibson eb0 pickup in the neck position. What do you guys think about this, has anyone done this mod? I think it'd be an awsome idea, my p-bass now has a seymour duncan quarter pounder and it doesn't have much bass, it sounds nice but I'm looking for ground rumbling bass, i've heard that's about what the eb0 can put out, so yeah if anyone has done it I'd love to find out about it, or know how to wire it or anything,
    thanks a bunch
    gord

2. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    There are also the Dimarzio Model One and Will Power Neck models (there are slightly different pole spacings on these; 1.875 and 2" resp) that are supposed to be upgrades of the EB0 pup. They're available new and show up regularly on ebay. Both have splittable dual coils so you can go series HB/parallel HB/single coil options with a switch.
    Easiest way to wire it in would be to copy a standard passive twin pickup setup like a Jazz, using (probably) 500k pots because of the highish impedance of both pickups. Place the above mentioned switch in series before the pot for the neck pickup.

That said, I thought that Billy Sheehan ran his out through a second output to a seperate amp and cab.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I did it with a MIM Precision a while back, wired it in stereo and had a Dimarzio Model P in the middle, and a 1965? EB0 in the neck position. Sounded amazing!

I also added a push/pull pot to route both signals to a single input for one-amp gigs.

I miss my "Wife"

4. fremenblue

fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    I replaced the Dimarzio X2N-B in my Yamaha Attitude with the Willpower Neck pup. It's definitely got low end! I put the X2N-B at the bridge of another P bass with interesting results. That project isn't done yet, I don't think I have the pup positioned quite right, it needs to be a bit further from the bridge. It's a narrow pup too, barely reaches the E and G. :( Anyway. . .

Go for it, I don't think you'll be sad you did. :D

For another bassist, listen to Cliff Burton on Metallica's "Ride the Lightning" and "Masters of Puppets". I'm pretty sure "Ride" was mostly recorded on his Ric which had an EB pup at the neck and I believe a Jazz pup at the bridge (can't tell for sure in the picks but it looks as if there are too many pole pieces for it to be a Ric bridge pup). "Masters" I'm not as sure which basses were used. He also played an Aria Pro II and. ...don' remember the third bass.