Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Adding an extended cab to a combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Albini_Fan, Apr 13, 2003.

1. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    I've asked before, with no replies =( I have an Ampeg 210-SP combo, which I like alot. I bought it at the Guitar Center, where they even told me I could add an extension cab. Well, I can't. I was wondering if I could have somone mod it so I could add a 15" external extension cab (or any cab for that matter), or is it not possible?

And if it is possible, would it boost the wattage?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  3. Actually that's not right. One speaker is 8 ohms, but there are 2 in it, so that makes a 4 ohm load, the maximum the amplifier should be pushing.

4. Which would explain why the amp doesn't have an external speaker jack ;)

5. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    If GC mislead you by saying you could add another cab and you can't without modifying the amp, then you should go take it back and make them give you either a refund or store credit. That's just shady man!!!

:meh:

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Oops, you're right. The manual is a bit misleading.

7. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    If he took it to a tech, couldn't the tech rewire the 2-12's in series to keep the 8ohm load, then wire the extension jack as parallel so it drops to a 4ohm load only when the extension cab is plugged in?

8. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    I think it's 2x10 and not 2x12, and I bought the amp like 2 1/2 months ago. So it's past the return point :/ I guess I just shouldn't bother with an extension cab, huh? :p The amp sounds great by itself, I just wanted some more low end/volume. Eh, oh well. I'll just start saving up for one of them stack thingamajigs ;p Maybe I'll get one in 2005 ;d

9. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    In series, that would be 16 ohms.

10. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    This is probably a no-brainer, but if my amp is already being pushed to the max, should I not overdrive it?

When I set the style to 4 (+5db@khz) and the Treble/Mid/Bass all to about 7 (of 10), volume to about 4 (of 10), level at 5 (of 10), it has an awsome sounding overdrivey distortioney tone. But I'm pretty sure I'm going to blow something, or maybe I'm just over cautious?