Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

adding an horn to my 410

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steve-o, Apr 19, 2002.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i am going to get my new 410's in the morning i can not wait. i going to pit this on top of my 15.
    the 410 is a crate that i found in a pawn shop for $190 i have played on it and it sounds great, but it doesn't have a horn. can i put one in the 410 and if i can how would i exactly wire it up? if i put an 8 ohm horn will it make the cab 4ohms if it is originaly 8 ohms?
    what kind would you suggest? how about carvin?

2. A horn? What would you want with one of those honky, squawky things? I love my Eden cab, but I was kinda glad when the horn blew because I discovered I liked it better that way. :)

3. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    www.eden-electronics.com

look under parts and components

Tweeter = $69.00

Crossover with pot = $45.00

The added sound = priceless

Good luck with the install, added the pot to my CXC1015 to ease off on the horn in the 10" speaker, I love it.

4. ItchyBass

ItchyBass

Oct 12, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    You need a crossover, or a simple capacitor - which you can get at a local stereo repair shop usually. Just make sure you know the impeadance of the horn, and the power rating so you get the right kind. Explain the use, a the shop should have no problem getting one for you. They are like $5.

The capacitor (the portion of a crossover used for the high end) will keep everything "low" from going to the tweeter. That way it just does what it is supposed to do, and won't blow up!

The capacitor also keeps the load of the cabinet as is. I have no idea why, cause I am dumb, but I know it is the case. Maybe one of the musical scientists out there can explain why...

5. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    will a tweeter at radioshack work?
    they have a couple of them?
    which is the best?

6. Noah-Fecks

Noah-Fecks

Sep 13, 2000
    Scotia, NY
    anyone ever install a horn in a 410 Fender cab?

7. The Eden horn like Basstud reccommends would be great.If you want to go a little cheaper the Carvin Red Eye tweeters are also very good for about $40.They are Fostex brand which SWR also uses.The Eden and Carvin crossovers both cost about the same so it's up to you.The Carvin uses switches to adjust the level of the tweeter while the Eden uses one knob .If it was me I'd get the Eden crossover and the Carvin horn,You're Impedence will stay at 8 ohms using either of these crossovers with a 8ohm cabinet and a 8ohm horn.Hope this helps.Don't go with anything cheaper,you won't regret getting either of these and they both sound real good.