Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Adding another 2X10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hofbrauhaus, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Hofbrauhaus

Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    Hey everyone, my current rig setup is a Genz-Benz XB2 2X10 cab mated to a Genz-Benz GBE400 head (I had Genz-Benz wire the cab to 4 ohms instead of the standard 8 ohms as an option, so the rig is putting out 330 watts). My question is if you think it would be effective to add another 2X10 cab. The head is stable at 2 ohms, and is rated at 450 watts at 2 ohms. I'm pretty new to rig setups since I always played combos before hand, but I'm assuming this means that I would be putting 225 watts into each cab. Would this actually make the rig sound worse because the cabs are 350 watts RMS each, or should this not matter because I wouldn't have to crank the amp up as much to achieve more volume due to the increased overall power and speaker area? My goal obviously is to turn my current rig into a 4X10, but using two 2X10's instead, which in my opinion, should actually sound better because the cab size is better matched to the # of speakers, plus it's easier to transport 2 smaller pieces than 1 big piece. Let me know your thoughts, thanks!

2. j_piddy

j_piddy

Sep 23, 2003
    yes

3. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on the issue, and answered most of your own question. :D

As you pointed out a 2x10 will usually sound better than a 4x10 although the 4x10 will get more lows than a pair of 2x10s due to the larger cabinet size. Adding another 2x10 should get you another +3db of volume for doubling the speaker area. I agree that speakers sound better when driven harder, but at 100-125 watts per 10" driver you're still giving it over 50% of it's rated power so it should sound fine.

In theory your amp won't have to work as hard to achieve the same volume. But it will be running at 2 ohms which could put more of a strain on the amp instead of less, so what it boils down to is how 2-ohm stable the GB head is in reality. GB claims "Capable of long-term 2 ohm operation" so it may be happy all night at 2 ohms. It might help to post another thread with GBE400 in the subject line to specifically attract the attention of GB users, and ask how their head performs at 2 ohms. Good luck!

4. Hofbrauhaus

Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    Thanks for the suggestion! Believe it or not the one 2X10 gets all the lows I could ever possibly need! GB claims that the 2X10 XB2 cab rivals some 4X10 cabs and I certainly have to agree with that statement...so I figured adding another one of the 2X10s would likely make for a killer sounding 4X10 "type" rig. I'll look into more info on the head to see if others have had good reliability with running it at 2 ohms, although I think it's a fairly new head so it may be too soon to tell

5. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    actually 2 2x10 's will have more low end than the 4x10 of equal value most of the time.

steve

6. Hofbrauhaus

Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    that's a good point, two 2X10's together actually add up to more cabinet than one 4X10, thus making the two 2X10's provide more low end, although I'm looking for lots of mids and highs to bring out the voicing in my Stingray 5...but hey that's why I'm using 10's in the first place. I think I'll like the flexibility too, having two 2X10's for the larger gigs and using just one 2X10 for the smaller ones...looks like it will work for me. Now if only I had money, this is still a rig in the making as I still want to add a BBE sonic maximizer and a DBX 266xl dual compressor to it!

7. j_piddy

j_piddy

Sep 23, 2003
    yes