Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

adding another cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassyamaha5, Aug 1, 2003.

1. bassyamaha5

bassyamaha5

Sep 4, 2002
    Hanover, MA
    I currently have a, Genz-benz gbe-400 head, with 2 Bag End cabs, 1 15", and 1 12", I am thinking about another cab, not sure what to go with, want to keep it Bag End though, I'm kind of looking for something that will add a little more thump to my low mids, have plenty of power, and my amp will handle a 2 ohm load, lets hear you ideas on how I can shake some brain cells in the audience

2. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    ive nptoced that for me 12s and 10s have better midrange response than 15s, so id go with another 1 12 or get a 2x10 if you want portability.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Was anyone else surprised to hear that? I haven't heard those exact speakers but most 15's and 12's can handle low mids very well.

I'm curious. How is you EQ sitting at the moment? Do you find yourself cutting or boosting certain frequencies?

4. bassyamaha5

bassyamaha5

Sep 4, 2002
    Hanover, MA
    I find that I can run my eq fairly flat, the cabs I have now hit pretty good, the 15 hits pretty heavy on the bottom, and the 12 growls like a big ten, i'm just looking for something to round out the bottom end, give it that thump that hit's the people in the back of the room in the chest, definitely going with another bag end, just not sure which one to get, these speakers are extremely power efficient, and light

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Low mids won't do that. You're probably better off going for an 18 and hitting people in the chest with some super low frequencies.

You know when you go to big concert with a big PA systems and the kick drum and bass feel like they're gonna make your pants flap. There's only one way to do that. Brute force. We're talking lots of watts and lots of 18" low frequency drivers.