1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

adding another p pickup.?.?.?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by eots, Dec 27, 2004.

1. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I have in mind to add another p style pickup near the bridge to my Fernandes p-bass. I saw that Leland Sklar has something in that vein and thought I might try it to mine. I already have replaced the original pup with a SD 1/4 lb. pup and really like the improvement. I would like to stay passive and have 1 vol.,1 blend, and 1 tone knob. This would mean drilling one hole in the pickguard, which is not a problem. I haven't seen a specific wiring diagram for this setup but wouldn't adding the blend(stacked) pot just be adding an in line volume so to speak? Also, in the center detent position ( both pups equally on), would there be a compatability problem if both pups are not the same brand(ohm rating)?Like, would I have to go with another SD 1/4lb'er or will my original pup work ok with it. Not that I wouldn't mind have the extra clarity the SD would provide, I can get that later if I like this setup.​
    I plan on routing out the new pup cavity myself with either a stewmac unit or making my own template out of some 1/4" plexiglass using the original pickguard pup hole as a guide.
    Does this modification sound feasible? any suggestions? Should I just go with an active module perhaps?