Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

adding another p pickup.?.?.?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by eots, Dec 27, 2004.

1. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I have in mind to add another p style pickup near the bridge to my Fernandes p-bass. I saw that Leland Sklar has something in that vein and thought I might try it to mine. I already have replaced the original pup with a SD 1/4 lb. pup and really like the improvement. I would like to stay passive and have 1 vol.,1 blend, and 1 tone knob. This would mean drilling one hole in the pickguard, which is not a problem. I haven't seen a specific wiring diagram for this setup but wouldn't adding the blend(stacked) pot just be adding an in line volume so to speak? Also, in the center detent position ( both pups equally on), would there be a compatability problem if both pups are not the same brand(ohm rating)?Like, would I have to go with another SD 1/4lb'er or will my original pup work ok with it. Not that I wouldn't mind have the extra clarity the SD would provide, I can get that later if I like this setup.​
    I plan on routing out the new pup cavity myself with either a stewmac unit or making my own template out of some 1/4" plexiglass using the original pickguard pup hole as a guide.
    Does this modification sound feasible? any suggestions? Should I just go with an active module perhaps?