Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

adding another p-pup.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by eots, Dec 27, 2004.

1. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I put this in the luthier's forum but thought I'd put it here also.

I have in mind to add another p style pickup near the bridge to my Fernandes p-bass. I saw that Leland Sklar has something in that vein and thought I might try it to mine. I already have replaced the original pup with a SD 1/4 lb. pup and really like the improvement. I would like to stay passive and have 1 vol.,1 blend, and 1 tone knob. This would mean drilling one hole in the pickguard, which is not a problem. I haven't seen a specific wiring diagram for this setup but wouldn't adding the blend(stacked) pot just be adding an in line volume so to speak? Also, in the center detent position ( both pups equally on), would there be a compatability problem if both pups are not the same brand(ohm rating)?Like, would I have to go with another SD 1/4lb'er or will my original pup work ok with it. Not that I wouldn't mind have the extra clarity the SD would provide, I can get that later if I like this setup.
    I plan on routing out the new pup cavity myself with either a stewmac unit or making my own template out of some 1/4" plexiglass using the original pickguard pup hole as a guide.
    Does this modification sound feasible? any suggestions? Should I just go with an active module perhaps?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

About a year ago I just routed a rectangle out beneath the strings to stick in any pup configuration I wanted. I like the bass I had and got tired of being limited by the PJ configuration and buying basses to get a different configuration and not liking the feel of the bass. It's worked out well for me and I've had no desire or need to buy another bass. Plus I can go from a J set to a Ric set to an MM (whatever) in a matter of minutes.

Once you find a combo you like, you can fashion a pickgaurd to cover. If you screw the bass up routing it, your stuck short of making a pickgaurd to cover it. You can trash a pickgaurd and make another one. It's a lot easier to route out a rectangle that doesn't have to be precise than to route for a pup that does have to be precise.

Pups you want are your preference as is circuitry but a blend does not work like a volume control. You can use a stacked volume and not need to punch a hole in the pickguard or you can use a blend and volume - they're just different and nothing complex to wire.

I run pups direct out to seperate jacks so they're isolated and compatibility outside of tone is not an issue. Don't know but I'd guess it would be uncommon to run into problems with compatibility in mixing pups, some aftermarket active pups sets actually only have one pup that is active and the other is a passive pup.