Adding crossover to Edens?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Steven Green, Aug 29, 2001.

1. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I just got an Eden 410XLT and 118XLT to use with my Mesa Basis M-2000. Here is the question...

Would it be feasible to add a low-pass filter to the 118XL cutting off frequencies above, say, 160 Hz and also a high-pass filter cutting off all frequencies below 160 Hz? This would ensure both cabs are putting out frequencies more to their liking going by speaker size (18" for low, 10" for mid/hi). I hope that makes sense and that I used the correct terminology!

One thing to keep in mind, both cabs have similar specs:

410XLT: Sensitivity 106DB SPL @ 1w 1m
    Frequency Response +/- 2db 50hz to 13khz -6db @ 31hz

118XL: Sensitivity 100DB SPL @ 1w 1m
    Frequency Response +/- 2db 42hz to 2.5khz -6db @ 31hz

Does that mean they essentially handle lows the same and that the above mods would be a waste?

Thanks guys!
  2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Unless you're trying to use the 18 as a sub I wouldn't bother. The 118 will have tonal differences from the 410XLT, run them together and they should compliment each other.

If you find that you don't like the upper and lower mids of the 118 then you might want to find some way to keep them away. As far as a pass filter on the 410XLT, I've never been able to make the low end break up on one;)
  3. IMO not a good idea at all. :D I would run both as full range and let them complement each other.

160 Hz is high E (the G string, 9th fret). As stated above, your 410XLT would not be operating below this frequency... this is a total waste of a very nice cabinet. The 410XLT is a solid performer from 50 Hz up. Use it.

The 118XL adds more fundamental down to 42 Hz and then rolls off to -6 dB at 31 Hz, same as the 410XLT does.
  4. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    That is basically what my friend thought. I just wanted to get some additional opinions. Thanks a lot guys!