Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

adding dot markers to a fingerboard

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by brock29609, Jul 1, 2003.

1. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    If I wanted to add markers to my maple fingerboard, or at least just add one to the 12 fret, could I? Would it be a do-it-yourself thing, or is it just way too complicated.

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    It's already fretted?

All you really have to do to get it in there is buy the dot, drill a hole, and glue it in. The hard part will be leveling, and then refinishing. There's not a lot of space to get in there and level off the dot. I'm assuming this bass has a lacquered maple fingerboard, so somehow you'd have to lacquer the part you just roughed up.

3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
  4. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    That is EXACTLY the kind of thing I was looking for. Thanks. Anyone have any experience with these?

5. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    These look cool... anybody try them? Slater, satisfied customer or...? How's the thickness?

On the website in one place it says the stuff is about 1/100" (0.01") which sounds pretty thin, then in another place it implies they're about 3-4x as thick as scotch tape, which seems like it may be a little much for blocks or trapeziods (maybe not so bad for dots, then again maybe dots are worse?).

They'd look great with the abalone-topped knobs I have on two basses....:bassist:

6. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
  7. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I've never tried them. I just stumbled upon the Fretware site some time ago while surfing for bass/guitar stuff...