adding electronics to an acoustic guitar

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gabu, May 5, 2003.

1. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Hi guys,

I have an old beater acoustic guitar that I use on occasion with a sound hole pickup. I was thinking of just leaving it in there and adding an input jack, volume and tone controls. Does anyone know where I could buy the control panel commonly seen on electric-acoustic guitars?
  2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Acoustics are braced for those from the factory. Cutting a hole for one in the side can REALLY weaken the pressure holding the curves in the side. L.R. Baggs makes an under-the-saddle pickup that has a little volume control that mounts in the soundhole. Otherwise, I'd just suggest forgoing the controls, and put a jack where the end pin is.
  3. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    StewMac ( has a large selection of systems for acoustic guitars.
  4. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Fishman makes good electronics for acoustics. That's what's on my Taylor and it sounds great plugged in.
  5. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I have done this with a couple of different styles.

If you have an old beater, you won't care.
    I took a 12 and had one of those under the bridge
    p/u put in, was great. I had 2 knobs put on the from like an electric.

I didn't like the soundhole variation, too much noise and buzz.
  6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I would recommend using a good pickup like a K & K Pure passive, then wiring it up to an endpin jack and using an small outboard preamp, like the type that clips on your belt buckle. More external cable involved, but less woodcutting, which IMO is a good thing when it comes to guitars.