1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Adding expression input to a pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dlenaghan, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Hey all -

This one goes out to the pedal tinkerers: how can I mod a pedal to have an expression pedal input? What parameters are most easily modded in this way? My case is looking into getting a Fuzzrocious Grey Stache but with a modded blend knob with an expression control, which Ryan has said yes to the blend but no to the expression. I had a similar question go out to Ryan of Dr Scientist, who said in his particular case (question about a gate) it would involve some heavy PCB redesign.

I've got a Grey Stache Plus I love (it's up for trade/sale because of the reason I'm about to describe), but I use a Barge Concepts Blender to control the wet/dry blend so the dirt fades in and out nicely, and the Barge Blender has an expression out.. But I'd love to compress this 2-pedal setup and get something more compact.

How easy would it be to mod the Stache I've got or get a new one (the Plus' boost footswitch I hardly ever use and would rather recover some board space)?

I'm thinking new Stache, which would cut down on the floor space, but if I can't install an exp. out, it doesn't help me eliminate the Blender. (Which works brilliantly, but it's just bulky/heavy/a hassle with power supply setup, etc.)

I seem to be bothering a lot of builders these days with requests which are generally impossible, possibly due to lack of space in enclosures, but having so little electrical experience doesn't help.

2. I think you could wire any knob to be controlled by an expression pedal. It's a bit of a blanket statement though; the values of the pots are different so you couldn't just use one exp. pedal for everything.
    I'm sure I saw in some effects seller website a mechanical expression that clamps the knob, and then turns it as you move the expression pedal. I'll have a look. Edit: it's called the Third Hand.

3. EskimoBassist

EskimoBassist

Nov 2, 2007
    Leeds, UK
  4. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    You won't have room in the little 1590bb box for a blend jack...sooooo adding expression is moot :(.
    You could do it on a 1790-sized box if using a expression pedal with a b100k pot inside.

5. I want to say that the tip is wiper and the sleeve and ring are the outside terminals. So with a stereo jack and a 3pdt you can wire up any single-ganged pot to be expression controlled.

Whether or not it works well is the issue. As Ryan said, space for the jack and switch can be a concern. Pot value is another issue; while not something that can (usually) damage anything it may either be too high or low and affect the sweep range.

6. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Wouldn't it be easier (and probably cheaper) to have someone build you a blender in an expression pedal type of housing?

7. Ok, I was hoping to understand a bit more about the mechanism, so it looks like the Blender is here to stay!

8. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    You know, a crybaby is nothing but a pot in an expression pedal. Perhaps if you hardwired the connection on the one pedal to the expression you could just have the pot remote mounted.

9. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    The hardwired expression out would work, but then you'd always have to have the expression pedal plugged in for it to work. Not to mention room for another volume pot for the blend........the list goes on. The way to solve this to move up to a 1790 box and have everything in one box.