1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Adding extra magnets, Jack Casady style.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Meddle, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    I read that new interview with Jack, and he mentions a few times that he added more magnets to his pickups.

Is this as simple as removing he pickup, tacking on a few more magnets on the bottom, removing enough foam out the pickup routes (I put it in there to reduce microphony) and screwing it back in?

And does it actually work?

2. Yes it can change the character of the pickup. Be sure to make some before and after recordings so you can do an A/B comparison.

3. T40Chump

T40Chump

Jul 12, 2008
    Plano, TX
    Is there a specific change it makes?

Thanks.

4. Depends on the sizes and strengths of the magnets used in relation to the coil's attributes.

I ordered a bunch of neo magnets that I was going to use in one of the MM style pickups I made until I received them and realized just how powerful the magnets were. Just for giggles I inserted them into the bobbin, installed the pickup in my test mule and plugged her in. The pull of the magnets was so strong the strings barely vibrated. The test mule sounded like a Kalimba.

5. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender Supporting Member

I'm sure Casady and his tech did lots of experimentation to figure out what worked among the hundreds of attempts that failed.

You could follow the same road, or spend the time actually playing...

6. Any suggestions as to what magnets to use? I have a squire with pickups that look like they would be active but are passive. This bass has a significant decrease in volume from my others. If it will make it louder but still sound good, I might try this.

7. eqvolvorama

eqvolvorama Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    Yeah, but what fun is that?

Next you're going to tell me that buying a bass similar to my bass hero of the moment won't automatically turn me into them.

Gear wonkery is 95% geekish enthusiasm and 5% musical practicality.

8. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland

How often do you give that wooden object so tightly embedded in your sphincter a wee holiday? I'm sure its dying for one as much as I'm dying for this thread to cease getting posts from angry little dudes such as yourself.

9. Bump

10. i wouldnt do that. I think Jack Cassady is talking about designing a pickup with added magnets, not to put a magnet outside...

11. trainwrecker

trainwrecker Guest

Feb 15, 2010
    It gives you the best tone possible, (for every style even), but you have get the strongest magnets you can find. Let us know how it works for you, I'm sure you'll be pleased...

12. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I'd be concerned about accidentially demagnetizing or repolarizing the poles or something... personally...

13. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    +1...I read that it is possible to demagnetize AlNiCo pole pieces even by having them contact other pieces of metal (like screws and things) in a drawer full of parts. Not a problem with Ceramic magnets, though.

14. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2008
    What pickups are you wanting to add magnets to?

Do you have access to a gaussmeter?

15. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    If that were the case no Gibson pickups would be working by now, and they all rely on iron screws and polepieces stuck on an Alnico bar magnet. The problem is, if you have an already existing bit of magnet (say an Alnico II) in a pickup and you try to boost it with an extra magnet that's stronger (say an Alnico V), it'll likely demagnetize and then flip orientation to match the stronger one. It mostly happened with P-90 guitar pickups, as they have one bar magnet on each side and people experimented with an Alnico II on one side and a V on the other - both initially fully magnetically gaussed.