Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

adding frets?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by paniak17, Apr 8, 2004.

1. how would i make my fret board longer, i was thinking about having my local music shop take a 24 fret neck, and cut the part that i need and screw it on. You might be thining "why doesnt he just buy a new neck" well my answer is i want it to say fender not PEAVEY or sumpthing because fender doesnt sell 24 fret V string necks individually. also what about an estimate.

2. Why on earth do you want more than 24 frets? What type of music do you play? Have you thought this through?

I've never heard of this done before; I don't think you'll find anyone to do it.

Also, the whole "I want it to say fender thing" makes me wonder.

3. no i want exactly 24, not more. i just want higher notes to play, i mean 24 is better than 20 and that also adds another octave, and then ill have 4 octaves of E - F - F sharp - and G i think it would be kool.

4. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Warmoth makes 24 fret replacement necks that are licensed by fender, fit perfectly in the neck pocket, and you can add a Fender decal if you want.

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    You can have some of mine, I'm not using them ;) Seriously, without replacing the entire neck you will never get stability. How would you get the truss rod to work :confused:

6. im not planning on the truss rod to work, all i want is a little peice of a neck (without the rod) and i would drill a hole in my part of the neck and the peice, then i would connect them, it wouldnt make my neck longer, because the peice would be over the pickgaurd.

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I don't think you could intonate frets that you add on correctly. Buy a replacement neck and do it right, don't cheap out and jury rig it.

8. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Personally, I only go past the 12th on rare occasion. For this reason I plan on having my next bass be like a double bass. There would be no cutaways, and it'd have F holes and semi-hollowing for coolness. However, there are about 20,000 other things I need before a new bass, so we won't be seeing it any time soon :meh:

9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I've thought about this myself because my USA Urge has 24 frets, my Ibanez SR406 has 24 frets but my main bass (a delightful Hoyt neck/Warmth body) does not.

I rarely play up there, but it might come in handy if I developed some need for doing right hand hammer-ons (ala Vic)

The only real issues would be matching your fingerboard radius, making sure that the extension is installed in exactly the right spot and access to those frets is going to be limited by a fat 'ol Fender body in the way. If you have to change the shim in the neck some day, you'll have to shim the extension as well...

Good luck!!!

10. Wouldnt a replacement neck be longer, theremore make it impossible to intonate the bass due to the changed scale length? If iit just has more wood hanging over the end of the neck, then how it that any different from just adding a piece on?

11. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    If adding a piece of fretboard to end of the existing fretboard sounds like an ok solution to you, then by all means do it to every bass you own, but don't even think about trying it on my mine :D

12. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Also scale length is measured nut to bridge saddle. The best to measure is nut to twelth fret times two.

Putting more frets on a bass is more a matter of construction instead of neck length. Example. Jerzy Drozd basses are 35" scale standard I believe, yet their basses can be ordered with 24, 28, or 36 frets.

13. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Yeah, it can be done. Check out the current Bass PLayer with the Mike Pope article. He has a 3 fret extension for his Fodera that he can remove.

I really think you should consider another bass (and worry less about what the headstock says if it's a good instrument).

It seems like you have all these things that you want your Fender to do that it currently doesn't (make it a 6 string? add 3 frets? whammy bar?). In the long run, you'll probably be better off with a bass designed for the purpose you are trying to serve as opposed to jury rigging a bass with the illusion that it will make your current bass "better."

But, it's your bass--do what you want. Just don't be surprised when what you "thought" you wanted doesn't really make you any happier.

14. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    When I had a Fender jazz, I felt the need for 24 frets on one or two tunes, but only on the G string. I fashioned an almost triangular shaped piece of wood that I attached to the body below the G string (I replaced a pickguard screw with a long screw and this worked perfectly. With a couple of short of short pieces of fretwire, I added the frets I needed. WHen I later sold the bass (it was qa '60 stack knob) there was no sign of my ever having done this mod as I had saved the original pickguard screw and the extension left no marks whatsover on my bass.

15. do you have any pictures? or articles i can read?

16. ive already restrung it, i want higher! lol

17. I think you misuderstood me. For the intonation to stay close enough to adjust properly, any replacement neck would have to have the same distance from nut to the end of the neck where it fits in the pocket. Any additional frets the neck might have (compared to the original) would have to hang over the end. Instead of buying a new neck, one could just add that "hang over" onto the end of the existing neck. However, I think the proper way to do this would be to get a proper 24 fret bolt on neck and route out the pocket more to accomodate the extra length. This would obviously cost a lot more, and probably isn't worth the trouble.

Anyways, I agree with you that the best way to get 24 frets is to just buy another bass.

18. i just dont want to have to stretch to reach my frets in first pos., so maybe i will carve a part of the body out and add a new 24 fret neck.