1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Adding full EMG system to a Spector Ns2000 really solderless?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Systolic, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Will adding an Emg BQC to a Spector NS2000 truly be solder-less? I've read that certain output jacks (long barrel?) Still require soldering.

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Take a look at the BQC system & the output jack that comes with it:

emg-bass-accessories-set-2_1.jpg

Does your output jack look like this?

3. Well that's the kicker. Bass has been purchased but is not in my hands yet. I'm pre-planning.

4. Killed_by_Death

I'm loving this new phenomenon where folks start planning their pickup & preamp upgrades before they even try the instrument :roflmao:
    I'll bet the manufacturers of those products are loving it also :smug:

5. Artman

Artman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Georgetown, TX
    If it has a barrel jack like the one Ibanez uses on the SR basses, you will have to at least desolder the existing wires from the output jack, and possibly have to clip the lugs from the wires and solder those wires to the output jack.

Systolic likes this.
  6. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    This is probably going to come off as a bit snide, but why does it matter if it's solderless or not? Soldering is not difficult and a half-way decent soldering setup is not expensive. In fact, many of us even find it fun to solder. I can't imagine not being able to swap out a worn output jack or pot in the comfort of my own home and instead having to worry about a "solderless solution" or having to throw away money on labor for a guitar tech to do the work for me. In my opinion, a bassist should know how to solder and do general maintenance/repairs on his/her bass....in the same way that anyone with a driver's license should know how to change a tire and do an oil change.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  7. Artman

Artman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Georgetown, TX
    I agree, and I do all of my own work with the exception of fretwork or custom nuts on fretted instruments. That being said, there are some people like one of my two brothers who are incredibly gifted musicians but are all thumbs when it comes to any mechanical work more complex than replacing strings with the same make and guage. For them, performing and playing comes naturally, but a soldering iron in those otherwise gifted hands will certainly result in either a damaged instrument or a damaged hand.
    I’m not saying that the original poster is such a person, but it’s possible. A small bench charge at the local music store might be less expensive than a visit to the minor emergency clinic, or replacing active pickups that were toasted by a short circuit or reverse polarity.
    However, if the op is otherwise pretty good with hand tools, he definitely should watch a few tutorials and maybe grab a book on guitar tech, before making a trip to either harbor freight or radio shucks to purchase an iron and a few supplies.

8. It's most likely because I have a condition that causes my hands to shake much more than the average joe. Not Parkinson's level or anything, but it makes doing tiny tasks like soldering or tying a fishing line or threading a needle nearly impossible.

I did buy a soldering setup to see if I could make it work a few years back. Couldn't make it happen.

9. Killed_by_Death

I have trouble enough soldering as well, and avoid caffeine on days that I am doing it.
    Been putting off re-soldering a instrument cable connector for two days, because I like to get it out of the way in the morning (before I get any stress), but I keep forgetting about it.

10. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Understood. My original comment was somewhat insensitive; my apologies. It should have occurred to me that soldering isn't necessarily an easy task for all.

Bob_Ross and Artman like this.
  11. No harm no foul, we're all good. Trust me, if I could do basic soldering jobs myself, I absolutely would. Luckily I know some people that help me out.

Artman likes this.
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021