1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Adding growl to my Thunderfunk TFB-550

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ngomong, Oct 9, 2006.

1. ngomong

ngomong

Aug 8, 2006
    Norristown, PA
    So, not entirely long ago, I acquired a Thunderfunk TFB-550 (not b) from the classifieds, and I LOVE IT! It took alot of effort (okay, not really!) but I've managed to get an tone from it that I absolutely love. I started with a slight boost at 30hz, 400hz and 4khz, and then twiddled from there.

What I'm trying to figure out now, is, how should I go about adding a little growl to it. Sometimes, I'd like to add a tone reminiscent of Mel Schacher from Grand Funk Railroad, or Les Claypool's version of Have a Cigar. That's an extreme example of what I'm looking for... in most instances, I'd want a scaled back version of that sound.

What I'm wondering is, should I add a tube preamp, or get an OD pedal? Does it make sense to add a preamp in front of the Thunderfunk? Really, I only want to augment the tone I've achieved with the 'Funk, and not color it. (I want to make its existing color more VIVID without changing the hue, if you will.)

I currently have a Sansamp BDDI, but it hasn't quite given me what I'm looking for. I find that when I crank the drive and play with a heavy attack, I get that overdriven sound at first, but then it fades off quickly. And the growl isn't really consistent across all of the strings. Perhaps I need to experiment with it more, but so far... not quite there.

Doing my research on the forums here, I've shortlisted some options...

Pre-amps:
    * Alembic F-1X (will this overdrive, or is it mainly a clean tone?)
    * Alembic F-2B (sounds like you can get a nice growl by cascading the channels)
    * Ampeg SVP-PRO (that's alot of tubes, my friend!)

OD Pedals:
    * EHX English Muff'n
    * Homebrew Hematoma
    * Rocktron Silver Dragon
    * Fulltone Bassdrive
    * Homebrew Big D (no tube)
    * Robert Keely modified Boss Blues Driver BD-2 (also no tube)

I dunno, I'm still new to this whole "nice gear" and "lots of toys" thing, so I'm hoping your collective knowledge will help. So many options, so little money/time!

Any advice?
    Thanks!
    clay.

2. schmittuml

schmittuml

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    i'd go with a fulltone bassdrive.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup, if you're looking for 'dirt' get an overdrive pedal. Look in the effects forum, there are many many threads on the various overdrive pedals out there.
    Some of the favourites are:
    Fulltone bassdrive
    ebs multidrive
    hematoma
    bbe xotic preamp
    dredgetone angler

4. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

My Tech21 Sansamp BDDI really makes my TFB growl. They pair up VERY well!

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021