Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Adding J pickup to P Bass questions (Lakland Glaub)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by duke2004, Mar 11, 2005.

1. duke2004

duke2004 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    I have just been playing my nearly new Duck Dunn skyline (essentially a Glaub). Its a wonderful P bass :) , and of course i cant leave well enough alone. Its got the Fralin P pickup. So a couple of questions:
    anyone added a J to the Fralin P? Fralin offerrs an overwind/underwind option, and Im wondering about that.

Also, my experience on other P/J's is that the J is really overpowered by the P, unless the pickup selector pan is nearly 100% on the J pickup. Would this mean it might make sense to put a Fralin stacked humbucker in the bridge J position (instead of a vintage single coil J pickup) so it can compete with the P pickup?

Then there is the rumoured issue, that i dont truly believe, but keep hearing, that adding a J pickup can actually change the P tone. In other words, people say that the P pickup, when on 100%, does not sound the same, because the addition of the J has sonicly alterred the circuit. I dont know if I buy that idea. Voodoo? Mojo? Science?...But it does bring up yet ANOTHER question:

Is there a sonic advantage to having two volume and one tone, instead of the more convenient volume, pickup pan, tone option. Remember, this is a passive bass....

I would prefer to hear from people who have done a modification to the Glaub, or added a J to a P, but any TB "experts" can weigh in on these critical life or death issues! :bassist:

2. bump, somene help this man out.

3. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I think that would be a good idea. That's what Lakland does with their PJ version of the USA Glaub, IIRC.

4. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Seems like if you had a switch that would actually disconnect the J-pup, there's no way it could possibly alter the tone. I don't know about a volume pot -- if it's turned all the way down, does it have any inductance or anything that could change the performance of a circuit? :meh:

5. duke2004

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    bump...P/J-heads please weigh in

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'd actually point you in the direction of Lakland themselves. Since they offer such an option, they might be able to not only provide advice as to how well it would work, but possibly do the installation themselves (if you want to go that route).

7. duke2004

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    yeah im planning on giving either/or Lakland or Lindy Fralin a call. From looking at other posts, im thinking it makes sense to do a split coil pickupin the J bridge position, maybe with a series/single tap. Definately something with a bit more output than a vintage single coil...and then going with a stacked vol/vol and tone, rather than doing a pickup blend with a passive bass, because ive heard the blend will reduce my output too much.

8. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    ...A what?

9. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I e-mailed Dan Lakin about a year ago when I had GAS for a P/J bass, and asked if the Skyline Gaub would be introduced in that configuration. He said no, but added that Lakland would do the modification on a Skyline Glaub for $200 (or thereabouts) in addition to the cost of the Fralin J, which is a linear humbucker.

I've never heard about the J pickup affecting the P's tone, but I noticed on a '99 Hot Rod Precision that the overall volume seemed to drop when I turned the J pup's volume up all the way. I later read an explanation of this phenomenon, but can't remember it. Anyway, the humbucking J pickup might avoid this problem.