Adding low end and warmth to my rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Music_for_life, May 23, 2012.

1. Music_for_life

Music_for_life

Aug 6, 2010
    I love the clean sound and punch I can get with my GK 1001+HARTKE XL 410
    Can I add some warmth and low end to it connecting a VT bass dlx and a sadowsky preamp??

2. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Sep 14, 2005
    Why do all that? Just get an amp that has low end and warmth.

Ampeg B100R does.

So does an Ashdown Little Bastard with an Ashdown VS-112 cab.

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Yes, the VT would give you a warmer option. Maybe the Sadowsky too, don't know but try one at a time. With the VT and the GK, you'll likely get huge variety.

Skip the small stuff mentioned. There ain't no 100 watt combo or 30 watt tube head can do what a 1001rb can do. The Hartke cab is also pretty bright, factor that in.

4. R Baer

R Baer Commercial User

Jun 5, 2008
    President, Baer Amplification
    All depends on your definition of "warmth".

5. More low end and punch will come from adding another 410XL.

For warmth, EQ it better.

For warm fuzzies, one of those cheap ART tube pedals.

6. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

HyDrive 410 might help warm it up if Hartke cabs are your thing.

7. As always don't mix without trying out before buying. Having two xl will let you eq in more bottom before farting out, without necessarily increasing the overall volume a lot.

8. Alexdeth89

Alexdeth89

May 7, 2012
    Hermosillo
    You can get tons of low end out the GK, just press the 4/5 string or roll the contour knob, those 2 will add plenty of lows, have you tried?

9. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    sure, but that old sealed 400w 4x10 might run out of room if asked to push too much low lows.

you can absolutely add "warmth" with various pres that color or even overdrive the tone a bit, but lows will be limited by the available power and speaker capability.

a second xl cab would indeed solve that issue, but would make for a huge and heavy stack to drag around; maybe a different cab, one vented for more lows, capable of handling more power and not so characteristically snappy as the aluminum-cone XL might be the answer.

10. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    ... the 410XL is a ported cab .. should have two round ports, one on either side middle of cab ... the 4.5 would have bottom port I believe, and may actually be a bit deeper cab as well, but that also adds a tweeter ... the 210XL's are the sealed cabs

11. It's not a popular thing around here, mixing cabs, but I have had stellar results adding an SWR Big Ben 18 under a 4x10XL driven by both a 700RB and an SWR Bass 350 redface. Added pants flapping low end goodness. Bunch more lows, and more warmth without choking the punch of the XL. If you are in NY, you can come by and try mine!

12. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    ah, yeah you're right, the XL 410 is indeed ported.

13. agreatheight, you and I agree on getting great results mixing cabs, but we're in a huge minority.

14. Mixing cabs doesn't always work, but it certainly can - and in this case is certainly does. I gigged close to 500 gigs with that rig, great sound, nary a complaint from anyone!

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021