Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Adding mass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by balzac, Aug 26, 2005.

1. balzac

balzac

Aug 25, 2005
    Cairns, Queensland
    Hey all
    I just acquired a 70s Japanese bass, and I'm not completely happy with the sound it puts out (the looks and feel of it are great, though). I'm probably going to replace the electronics, but I think a bigger problem is that the body lacks mass.

I'm gonna replace the stock bridge with a gotoh 206, and was contemplating replacing the plastic pickguard with a metal one. Any ideas about whether this is a good idea, and if it'd do anything to improve the sound?

All comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The bridge would make a difference. I don't think the pickguard would. What is it about the sound that it lacks?

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've never had a bridge change make a significant difference in tone. People argue with me about it on here, but I don't think the bridge matters at all as long as it intonates.

4. balzac

balzac

Aug 25, 2005
    Cairns, Queensland
    There's a lack of sustain, and a 'hollow thumpiness' that doesn't fit right with my ears. I've played around with the setting on a couple of amps and I just can't get it to a point where I'm completely happy.
    It's got flatwounds on at the moment - could that be part of it?

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Could be. More likely that's the problem than the bridge. Try a set of rounds. All you have to lose is money :meh:

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Hollow thumpiness is a flatwound charicteristic. Try some nickel wounds, and see how that improves things. Often putting the right strings on a bass will change it into a winner.

7. balzac

balzac

Aug 25, 2005
    Cairns, Queensland
    Sweet. I'll ditch the pickguard idea and try the rounds. The bridge does need replacing though, trust me on this. It's a cheap, nasty, flimsy, two-saddle type thing. I think the gotoh's definitely worth slapping on there.
    Thanks for the advice.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    2 saddle? OK, I can understand why you'd replace it.