1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

adding monitors too a pa setup

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by riotorgun, Apr 11, 2010.

1. riotorgun

riotorgun

Apr 2, 2009
    im mildy confused about changing my PA setup,i wanna change the poweramp and add a monitor/monitors too the setup the two speakers are 8ohm and most amps i see are rated at 4ohm so would adding monitors make it a 2ohm load?this is what im worried about cheers.:confused:

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    You typically need a separate amp and EQ for monitors.

3. Hi.

I assume that You're running (going to run) mono-bridged?

In that case, the total load for 4 8Ohm speakers parallel is 2 Ohm.

If You're not running mono-bridged, two 8 Ohm mains speakers parallel on channel A and two 8Ohm monitor speakers on channel B will fall within' the parameters ie. 4 Ohm per side.

Regards
    Sam

4. riotorgun

riotorgun

Apr 2, 2009
    cheers,i think im gonna use my old pa head for monitors and get some monitors and a new head,thanks for clearing up my confusion.

5. Pat C.

Pat C. Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tuscaloosa, AL, USA
    Can you tell us what equipment you currently have, and what you may be planning on purchasing?
    I'm not so sure your confusion is cleared up. ;)

You do not need a new head (I'm assuming you mean a powered mixer), if your current head has monitor line out you need a power amp and monitor speakers (or just power monitor speakers). It's also possible that your current head can be used to power both your main and monitor speakers.

Provide the make and model of your gear and we can provide more specific information.

6. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    or... get powered monitors.

7. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Still good to insert an eq in there for the monitor mix.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If you have a big enough power amp, you can run the mains off one side and the monitors off the other. I did this with a QSC MX1500a for years. We had four 8-ohm monitors, which we ran off one side (2-ohm load), and two mains at 4 ohms each off the other side (2-ohm load). I sold that amp to a friend, and it's still going strong. Eventually we got another amp for the monitors, so we then ran our subs of one side of the main power amp and the mains off the other side. I wouldn't try this with any amp whose name starts with a B, though.

9. riotorgun

riotorgun

Apr 2, 2009
    http://www.themusicking.co.uk/meridian-150-watt-pa-system this is what we have at the moment,i was thinking of getting another powered mixer with more tone options and just running a line out too the old one too run the monitors,its just gonna be used in a small pub at lowish volumes for bands and acoustic singer/songwriter types.

10. Pat C.

Pat C. Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tuscaloosa, AL, USA
    You really don't need another powered mixer, and very few heads actually supply very much EQ control. You're better off with a separate graphic or parametric EQ and a power amp. If your budget is limited to this price point, though, you really don't have many options anyway and the linked head arrangement may work OK.