Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Adding P-pickup to Jazz bass? JPJ, anyone done this?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by CzarMike, Jul 12, 2002.

1. I play in a rock band and currently use my creation: a Warmoth Jazz. It works excellent for most songs, but I find that a P-bass would definately fit a few of them a lot better. Would adding a P-bass pickup to my Jazz make sense? It's very high-quality and only makes sense, as opposed to buying another bass that would cost around $500 to meet my demands.
    What drawbacks will I face?
    Thanks a billion,
    Mike
    p.s. you can see my bass here:
    http://www.soulshadow.com/custombass/mikesbass.html

2. It sounds like you want the Stu Hamm Urge II. It has both the neck and bridge single coil pups, and a precision pup between them. However, the jazz pups are much further apart on the Urge to accomodate the P pups. The neck pup on your jazz is in the same spot a P pup would typicaly go.

Now, you could remove the neck pup, drop in a P, and have yourself a fine looking PJ, but a JPJ would require a lot of work and routing.

3. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Yeah I've tried it. Here's a custom bass built by my luthier, Michael Dolan with a J/P/J configuration (Duncan Basslines) run through a custom U-Retro preamp with passive blend pot. This bass now belongs to Craig Friedman in Columbus, Ohio. This bass rocks!

[​IMG]

4. Dude,
    that is a cool looking bass. The pickups look kinda cramped in there though. I mean there is so much space between the bridge and the pups, and between the neck and the pups.

It's cool, but I think I'd want the pups spaced out a bit more.

5. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Agreed...it came in that way and I just did the preamp upgrade..the bass smokes though!

I actually was considering popping a humbucker up at the neck and a stereo output ala Billy Sheehan but opted to just make it active with the U-Retro...Craig loves this bass!

I also owned Fender Stu Hamm Urge Prototype #002 at one time but just didn't like the downsized body and 32" scale. The new 34" Urge II's are nice (if you yank out the cheezy preamps that is!)

6. Nope.

The sweet spot for the P pickup is 11.0" from the 12th fret. The bridge pickup location was set by Leo Fender as a specific distance also. When the pickups move to different locations, the sound changes.

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, but then again, the sweet spot ain't sweet no more once you fret a note ;), although if you want the original p sound or j sound it's best to have the original spacings.

an aside - didn't the j bass neck pickup position shift over the years? thought i heard something about that. anybody know any particulars about that?

8. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i dunno about that, john...i think youre' right, though.

the fender urge II has the jpj config., but the bass has like a 32 or 30 inch scale. and it comes with these cheap, flimsy rubber knobs. i think that bass sounds like *poop*

9. I thought it was the bridge pickup position--the '70s Js have the bridge pickup half an inch closer to the saddles, IIRC.

10. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    [​IMG]

the interesting Bill Cox bass made by Cort

11. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Peter's correct. It was the bridge pickup that moved closer to the bridge on the early 70's Jazz's.

It's also that way on the current Fender Geddy Lee Signature basses. We just compared a Fender '62 Reissue and Geddy Lee spacing on Friday here at my shop and the Geddy's bridge pickup was closer to the bridge (will ask my tech how much closer).

12. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    The new Fender Urge II's are now 34" scale and only sound like "poop" in my opinion because of the preamp used in them. Stu's personal Urge II's were recently retrofitted with an 18 volt system.

13. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    ps: Peter...when did you move to Rochester? I thought you lived in Ithaca?

14. I'm up here doing an internship for the summer. When I go back to Cornell next month, I'll change my location back to Ithaca.

15. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    right on...you're right, though, the preamps are crap. the bass sounde _ok_ acoustically, but the elex do nothing at all for it. and stu sounds great!

16. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Cool...I grew up in the "Charlotte" area of Rochester and hung down at the "Penny Arcade" down at the beach....used to see Billy Sheehan back in the 70's play there with Talas. Bought my first bass from the House of Guitars on Titus Avenue in something like 1973. Rochester's a cool town but Ithaca is better. Both of my brothers are IC grads and one has his MBA from Cornell. Ithaca is one of the coolest college town in the US (IMHO)

17. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Not sure what Fender did to Stu's personal basses besides bump his up to 18V's. I think they may have popped in a preamp that they designed for the Victor Bailey Signature in as well. I'll ask him the next time I talk to him.

I played the 34" scale Urge II's at NAMM and think they're much better than the short scale Urge I's.

18. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Dude that bass is gorgeous. Aside from the cramped pickup configuration. I am in the process of adding a jazz pup to my frettless P bass.

19. re. Stu Hamm Urge II, I noticed that Stu Hamm's main one, the red metallic one with the mirrored pickguard, has what looks like a pao ferro fingerboard (as on the Urge I) and Hipshot Ultralite machineheads with small posts-

but the production models have rosewood fingerboards and Schaller lightweight large post machineheads- why the change? (cost-cutting re. the machineheads?)

20. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Most of Stu's basses are custom shop models with the exception of his one or two 34" Urge II's.