Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Adding P to J

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Assumer, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Assumer

Assumer

Mar 26, 2003
    Arkansas
    Has anyone ever added a P pickup to a jbass to get a configuration like the stu hamm bass? Any problems, advice, warnings.

2. i been planing to do that for some time, but iam not going to move the jazz pikups,iam just going to add a p in between the j's on my mim jazz. iam going to use stack knobs so each pikcup has a tone, and volume. i be able to get so many soundes. if any one can help with wiring pm me or some thing

3. Assumer

Assumer

Mar 26, 2003
    Arkansas
    That is what I am looking at. Putting the P inbetween the J pickups on my MIM jazz. Seems like a good Idea!!!

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    What are you hoping to gain tone-wise? If you want to get a P bass sound, the pup will have to be in the right position...which may be where the front J is already.

What would you be willing to give up tone-wise?

If I were to make a mod like that, I'd be inclined to move the front j way up toward the neck to be able to add the deep, deep tones in...but that would affect how easy the bass is to slap, etc. which may or may not matter to you.

5. for me the point isnt to get the p bass sound out of a j. its to kinda get the p sound:D

for me its to get even more sounds out of my jazz bass. if i wanted to get the p sound dead on, i would just but a pbass with a jazz in the bridge and then i would add jazz in the neck.

can any one help me figure out a way to wire a bass with three stacked knobs so each pickup have its own volume and tone.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
  7. Assumer

Assumer

Mar 26, 2003
    Arkansas
    Had not thought of that. Thanks

8. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI!

Why not sell what you got and invest in a nice PJ? Pick your maker and you won't have to worry about modifying yours. I have a pj Sadowsky and a PJ Fodera. Both sound awesome, have the jbass bridge tone and the P thump. Best of luck

Rob

9. Assumer

Assumer

Mar 26, 2003
    Arkansas
    I am currently looking for a G&L SB2 but since I play lefty I have not found any used. I may have to break down and buy new. Just searching for options.

10. P is P and J is J. PJ is someting else.

Multiple pickup configs ultimately do not satisfy. Best to have a P bass and a J bass. And, perhaps a PJ as well!