Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Adding Power Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by huskies90, Apr 10, 2005.

1. huskies90

huskies90

May 17, 2004
    Hi I don't read or post here often but I know this is the place to come for great info!!

I have a SWR 350X that I pair with two 8 ohm Eden cabs bringing the load to 4 ohms. The tone I get is perfect for me and the power has worked at the majority of the gigs I have played. However, I am playing a regular gig now at a pretty big room with no PA support where I feel I am running out of headroom. So, my question is:

Is there an EASY way to add some extra power to my existing rig or is it just easier to just go out and buy a new head with more power?

2. You could just buy a power amp & use the preamp on the 350x (Take the signal from the 'effects out' on the back) - the 350x doesn't mind running with no speakers. This would theoretically keep your sound the same.

Or you could just get a new head....

Either way you'll be buying some new, fairly significant gear...

So it depends what is easier for you I guess.

3. ... or you could just buy more cabs...

The 350x is rated down to 2 ohms.

4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    There's no "easy" way. I wouldn't recommend dipping below the manufacturer's minimum recommended load impedance. The "right" way, if you want to keep your 350x preamp, would be to get an external power amp and some additional cabs. That way, you can keep your existing rig (and use it for small venues), and whenever you play a big space, just bring along the extra amp and cabs.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i vote for the poweramp route (maybe) the 350 can be a cool head, but it's not the most powerful 350 watt head out there.

if you're really in love with the 350's preamp section, a good poweramp should give you a real boost. if not, you may want to check out other heads, but bring your 350 along as a reference

6. huskies90

huskies90

May 17, 2004
    Thanks guys -- kinda what I thought...I teetered between the 350 and 550...Should have gone with the 550 :crying:

7. huskies90

huskies90

May 17, 2004
    Is it possible to use the power amp in the 350X and then add another small power amp to power another cab or set of cabs or would that be bad?

8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    It is quite possible. However, it might be just as useful to lower the impedance on the 350 and get more watts. I say you should power the other set of cabs with the 350 and add another power amp.

9. huskies90

huskies90

May 17, 2004
    the 350 goes down to 2 ohm but at 4 this baby is running pretty hot and I am nervous about going too low even though the manual says it is ok. I don't understand your second sentence:

"I say you should power the other set of cabs with the 350 and add another power amp."

10. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Do you know what a power amp is?

11. huskies90

huskies90

May 17, 2004
    Yes I do...What are the other set of cabs? Or how would you set it up? That may make it easier for me to understand...Thanks

12. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Basically, I'm recommending that you get a real powerful power amp so you have a ton of headroom. Like at least 800 watts. Use that power amp on your main cab or cabs, and use your 350 on your other (smaller) cab or cabs.

13. huskies90

huskies90

May 17, 2004
    OK, I got it so, we are saying the same thing which is use two amps which I guess you are saying is OK. Obviously if I had a real powerful power amp I wouldn't need the amp on my 350. I am a minimalist and don't like having more than I need (hence, why I am in trouble now). So, I was thinking if I matched a small power amp with my existing one, all things would be equal and there would be peace in the universe. Does it matter if one amp is more powerful than another?

14. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Not really, but what kind of cab set up do you have?

15. huskies90

huskies90

May 17, 2004
    I have an Eden 210 xlt and an Eden 115xlt both 8 ohm.

16. I've run my 350x at 2ohms on several occasions without incident. If you do some searching for 'SWR' and related terms here, there are several threads discussing how SWR heads seem to get quite hot.

You definitely notice the increase in volume.

17. huskies90

huskies90

May 17, 2004
    I am not crazy about going down to 2 ohms or adding another cab to lug around. Can anyone suggest a good small inexpensive power amp to add? (yes, I did a search)

18. If you use the power of your head and an additional power amp you would need to run one cab with each power source. At that point you are no longer running a 4ohms on your head. You will LOSE power that way and making it up with the additional power amp. You will have gained nothing.

You can't combine the two power sources to both cabs. It doesn't work that way.

Your best option is to get a big power amp (1000w) and run the preamp of your head out to it.

Check out the QSC RMX850 or RMX1450.

19. huskies90

huskies90

May 17, 2004
    Thanks for the suggestions, . The head would be putting out less power but the cabs themselves would be getting more. Running the head at 4 ohms into two cabs = 350 watts. The wattage is split equally to the two cabs each getting 175 watts. At 8 ohms one cab would be getting 260 from the head and the second cab would be getting whatever power the power amp dishes out at 8 ohms (let's say an equal 260 watts) The equivalent power is 520 watts...

Probably easier to just sell my 350x and buy a 550x...I am just too lazy to do that. I am always looking for an easy way out... :meh: