1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Adding Punch

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Secondhandloser, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Secondhandloser

Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    So, I'm looking for something that I can run my bass through to give it a whole lot more punch. Like to the point where it almost sounds like a muted bass drum, effectivley killing sustain, with a whole bunch of attack. I'd prefer it to be footswitchable, but it doesn't have to be, as I could always run it through a loooper or something...

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Hmmm, a P-bass with a Punch Factory would be good i'd say. :) Try turning up your highs all the way too.

3. You might look at noise gates...something that will allow your attack to come through for a predetermined time, then shut off all sound. It'd probably sound completely unnatural, but that's what you're going for, correct?

Maybe a Rocktron HUSH would do the trick?...

4. I had alot of fun with a Behringer MDX2600 Compressor unit I borrowed from work. You could play with it enough to just hit a note and get no sustain, bass drum styleee. The unit is a Compressor, Enhancer and a Gate. It doesn't apear footswitchable, but can be midi controlled, I think. I enjoyed it alot, i only had it for a weekend but it seemed fairly useable/fun.