1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Adding Sansamp to pedal board...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lakland55, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Lakland55

Lakland55

Dec 13, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    I've been scanning through lots of threads containing both pedal boards and sansamp topics but coming up empty on a question that I need answering...and forgive my ignorance, I'm still new to owning and using multiple pedals and effects.

So, I recently ordered the Tech 21 sansamp bass driver DI and would like to add it to my current pedal board but I'm not sure where in the chain its supposed to be (I assumed last)?

My current pedal board is pretty standard stuff:

Wah --> Compression --> Fuzz --> Octave --> Synth --> Chorus --> Tuner

Am I right that the DI goes last in the chain?

2. SpruceGoose54

SpruceGoose54

May 21, 2013
    Read the manual and it'll tell you what they recommend. I think it's after compressor but before effects. But mess around and you never know what cool sounds you can get.

3. I put mine very last in the chain, so that if I'm using the DI to go to FOH it has my effects in it.

loopee likes this.
  4. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph !! Supporting Member

I've had mine for 5 years now and it's been sitting at its current spot for the last 3. I went by the book for the first 2 and to my ears, there's no noticeable difference in anything important. I use the DI often, so it stays last.

5. Lakland55

Lakland55

Dec 13, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    Yeah, so I'm in the process of putting the new sansamp on the board and I've read the instructions which indicate that "your bass should be plugged directly into the sansamp and the effects should be placed after sansamp". Here I am thinking that if I wanted the effects in the chain it would go last or right before the tuner (pitch black cuts everything out when engaged). Confusing...

6. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    You can decide whether you want your sansamp to have effects being sent FOH or not. Some will depend on the venues and sound men you work with.

A lot will prefer a clean tone FOH and then use your stage rig for effect reinforcement. Of course YMMV.

7. I would put it last to get your effects for FOH. If you're using the DI on your amp, then put it where it sounds best to you. But it is billed as an "amp simulator" so I am surprised they're saying in the manual to put it before the effects- seems like the effects go before the amp to me, even if it's just a simulated amp.

8. Lots of weirdness with tech21 manuals. Doesn't take away from the product quality thankfully. The presets recommended are extreme. I find less is more with twisting the eq's.

9. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I had one for a long time and never noticed a difference where I put it. I never used a lot of effects until this last year but when I had a long chain of effects running, the BDDI always went last, before my amp. I used it as a preamp and it was nice to have to DI handy and accessible when I needed it.

10. I keep it last as it seems to improve the range/harmonics of ODs and envelope filters <shrugs>

11. That's a fact! I have both (BDI &PBDDI) and the presets are lousy IMO.

Some effects supposedly work better after the Sansamp, and I used to use mine first behind the tuner in my chain, but the brains here convinced me otherwise. Last works best for me.

I use the PBDDI the way they're meant to be used, and use the single model as an overdrive/dirt pedal. Its nasty.

12. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph !! Supporting Member

Was in studio Friday evening, auditionning for a new band (power trio). It had been a while since I last used the SansAmp as a DI and I was totally pleased with came out of the monitors. Love that thang.

Laura Camacho likes this.
  13. Ifriff

Ifriff

Feb 7, 2011
    I use oct and fuzz before. Phaser, delay, then envelope filter after. Take the DI from my amp if needed.

14. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    It's pretending to be your amp.

Effects like delay and reverb are pretending to be your room. So if you have a sansamp and a reverb, bass -> sansamp -> reverb -> desk.

If you have effects like fuzz or OD, they are supposed to drive the amp, so you put those before the sansamp.

With effects like chorus, flange, etc, and compressor - it's more a question of what you want to do with them. Could go anywhere.

Of course this is only one way of thinking (mine) :)

15. If you're getting funky with time effects you want them in the FOH. But a wee bit of always on reverb probably isn't appropriate for a FOH gig, discuss with them.

16. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Yep, me too.

17. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    I go "bass > wireless > tuner > compressor > bddi deluxe > delay". The wireless first because its the wireless!, then the tuner because I want it to have a clean signal. Compressor before bddi because it was super noisy the other way, delay after the bddi because the manual said so. This last part means I can't use the DI part of the bdDI, but the DI on my any can go to the board pre-eq and it'll still have all my board effects so I'm good with it.

18. Darknut

Darknut

Apr 4, 2009
    Same here ... Last in the chain plus I always go out of the Sansamp to the PA.

19. JP Morin

JP Morin

Mar 15, 2011
    Quebec
    If i need the DI I use it at the end.

But i prefer to use it directly after the bass. I found this pedal reacts differently right after the bass and reacts more to the dynamics... I found the other pedals (buffer, comp, etc.) change the strenght of the signal and the way my bddi sounds, it's noticeable a bit, enough to slightly change my setting on the bddi. IMO...

20. Hello,

I am a new user here. I was looking for answer to the same question. This is what I found on Tech 21 website and I just wanted to share it with others:

Tech 21 - Frequently Asked Questions

2. In what order should I put effects when using a SansAmp?
    We recommend tone modifiers (compressor, overdrive, wah, etc.) before the SansAmp, time modifiers (chorus, reverb, delay) after. But there really are no rules, so try every order of effects you can, and the one that sounds best is "the right way."