Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

adding second p to a p.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jim primate, Feb 4, 2006.

1. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

you saw the title, does anyone have any info or advice? or sonic descriptions and whether or not it's worth the cost and effort?

it's just a '98 fender p-bass with a BAIII installed. it has a seymour duncan quarter pounder in it already (though i'm thinking of going back to a standard fender pickup.)

i've always been curious about the sound and i'm not worried about resale as i'm keeping this bass forever. does it sound good? how much more tones would it give? thanks in advance.

(yes, i've done searches and found nothing helpful.)

2. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    i think it might sound like a BC rich, since all of those have double P config.

but ive never played one, so i dont know

3. I played a 70s P with an added P pickup, and it sounded great. Thick sound with a bit of high end from the bridge pickup, and sounds terrific with either pickup soloed. I wouldn't be as eager as you to dig a hole into my P but it does make for an interesting variation that sounds great.

4. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    My Buzzard's a double P.... it's not like the B.C. Rich which is staggered. Buzzard is stacked/reverse....

Sound is thunderous!

5. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

i'm not too eager to do it. which is why i asked to see if it was worth it.

might just pick up a cheap sx and mutilate that bass.