Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

adding seymour duncan pickups to olp 5 string

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ms747, May 1, 2003.

1. ms747

ms747

Aug 10, 2001
    Australia
    hey guys
    i have just ordered an olp mm3 5 string bass, i am intersted in adding either just an active musicman circuit to the current pickup or replacing the whole system, what do you guys think is better? is seymour duncan the best? and most importantly can u recommend somewhere cheap to buy then either over the net or in australia where i reside
    cheers guys
    matt

2. I recently attended a concert, where the bassist was using a OLP 5, and the stock pickup didn't sound half bad. I'd say just put in a preamp, and if you like it then keep it, but if you don't then see about the pickup.

3. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    The pickups arnt the regular 5 string music man. They are a 4 string design with the added poles. You might have to settle for the pre. Just make sure you got enough room for the knobs.

4. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    Concur with the previous post. I own an OLP 5. I retained the stock pick up, but I installed an Aguilar OBP-1 onboard pre-amp. It was well worth, the bass sounds killer now.

I recommend you take it to a luthier to have it installed as it will require some routing. Go to the aguillar web site as they have schematics for a couple of different wiring set ups depending on what you like.

The stock pick is a true split coil. The bass comes with two volume pots and one tone. If you want to retain the two separate volume controls, you will have to have to buy yourself a new custom pick-guard because the OBP-1 gives a separate control for bass and treble. Feel free to e-mail if you have any other questions.

5. ms747

ms747

Aug 10, 2001
    Australia
    thanks guys for all the advice i think i will just be adding the active circuit keeping standard pickups shoudl be fine any suggesions as to where to pick a pre amp up cheaply i live in australia but can order online
    thanks guys