Adding Some Beef ????

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Aug 1, 2005.

1. I was looking for a recommendation. I'm looking for some beef to add to my Fender Jazz. I want something that wont revoice my instrument, so please dont recomend the SansAmp Bass Driver. I just picked up both the Sadowsky, and the Aguilar outboard preamps, only to be diapointed. They are great units, but they smooth out my bottom end more then I'd like.

I love my passive growl, and by no means want to loose it, so I'm looking for something very transparent, that will perhaps warm things up you could say, and add some beef without smoothing out my tone though. A tube pedal maybe?

2. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    That Fender amp maybe part of the problem. I love my Eden WT-550.

You could try a tube pedal. That will be expensive. You may be better off saving for a new tube/ss amp.
  3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    MG, you've started numerous threads over the last month asking essentially the same thing.

A Tube pedal MAY be what you are after, in one of the many threads you started I pointed to the SIB Fatdrive as something to 'tubify' your sound. But something that changes your tone is, by definition, not transparent.

I think either
    a) You don't know what you want
    b) You know what you want, but can't adequately explain what it is

Now, I personally think that it's option b).

Could you take some time to properly explain what sound you're looking to get. Terms like beefy, thicken, meat, growl are fairly nebulous.
    Can you give some references to recording(s) / players / basses that have the sound you're after, or talk about specific frequency ranges.

When you talk about terms like 'thicken', 'meat', 'growl' I think more about low mids than low end frequencies. But when I think 'warm' I think low end frequencies, so although I'm trying to help I'm not entirely clear what you're trying to do.
  4. Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    if you like your tone, maybe try enhancing it. if you run across one of these at a store, check it out -
    BBE Sonic Stomp
  5. JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    Fulltone Bass Drive in Comp-Cut mode with the OD set minimally. Worth a shot IMHO, sounds exactly like what you need.
  6. Well, I guess I'm just looking for a boost in the low end. I KNOW I want a boost in the low end. My amps bass knob is fixed on 80Hz. Not exactly LOW LOW.

Now, I tried the Aguilar, and the Sadowsky, which boost at 40Hz, and do a great job at that, but they also add a smoothness to the bottom that I'm not quite fond of. I like my passive growl, as I mentioned and I love my low mids/mids/highs. I just think my LOW LOW End is lacking. Around 40/50Hz.

What I guess I'm looking for is a "cleaner" boost at 40/50hz. With perhaps a "sharper" Q point, instead of a very "round"/"fat" Q point. Again, I found the Sadowsky/Aguilar to boost, but add a "phatness" or to my ears a certain "smoothness".
    I'm guessing maybe the Boss GEB7 will boost at 50Hz, and not add that smoothness that the Sad/Aggie did.
    I THINK i just want a boost at 50Hz.

Does anyone have any expericence with the MXR 10 band EQ. Its low end boost at 30 something Hz. But It appears to be for guitar. How does it sound on bass?

Or maybe the Fishman Platinum Pro Bass EQ Preamp. Anyone? It also boost somewhere around 30Hz, and has depth control, but I'm affraid it will add a color like the others.

I hope i explained myself well enough.
  7. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Aphex Bass Exciter DI
  8. didn't like bass exciter, altered tone too much.
    lost passive organicness and made rig sound digital.
  9. eldave777

May 24, 2005
    Badass II bridge. If you don't like the exciter try the punch factor. And perhaps some duncan quarter-pounders.
  10. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    It works fine on bass, but again we're back to the basic limitations of a graphic equalizers. They have a fixed Q and so while they're generally fine, if you have a very very specific frequency range in mind IMO you're going to be better able to get that with a parameteric EQ.
    I'll say one thing, maybe you should be looking at a different amp? One thing I loved on the Aguilar amps I had was their fat boost switch, which did some nice things at 30hz.

I thought the Fishman was very good, but one of it's major selling points is as combined preamp/compressor. In comparison to other stompbox eq's, I felt the eq changes available were more benign.

This is a cool semi-parametric eq pedal:
    But for 'sculpting' your sound, I can't recommend the Raven Labs True Blue EQ enough
  11. Yeah some new pickups might be an idea.
  12. Budonze

Nov 2, 2000
    i dont post here much but i lurk alot

you should look into a 31 band EQ :) it will let you boost or cut whatever you want. then if that doesnt work then you prolly dont know what you want.... sorry but its true
  13. Smoe

Jul 20, 2005
    Split your signal and run two different amps at the same time.. Set the EQ on one to handle your highs, and then your other to handle the lows. They'll each sound pretty average on their own, but together you'll have a massive sound which is likely to kill small animals at close range.
    If you get the EQ right on each of them, and then blend the volumes right, the sound will be greater than the sum of their parts.

You could always go all out and run 3 amps like Timmy C
  14. brooklynbassguy

brooklynbassguy Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    I think I know what you're after. I'm looking for it as well. It could be found solid state or tube. It depends on what size unit is acceptable. It could be a rack mount pre such as the EBS classic1, alembic fx1, avalon U5, or groove tubes Brick, or perhaps a parametric pedal, I think TC has one, also Dtar. Some sound great, others not so great. You have to try a bunch, and then post your results. The more time you spend with eqs, the more you'll learn about exactly what you like...
  15. I just ordered two EQ's. Both by Presonus (Anyone one know about these guys) I'm not looking to drop more then $250.00 and Presonus had 2 things I might like.

The PreSonus EQ3B 3-Band EQ. $99.00
    This is a 3 band EQ, bass/mid/treb, that is fully parametric, alowing me to select the Frequency desired to boost/cut (Goes as low as 20Hz, which is very nice)
    And has an adjustable Q as well, again, a fully parametric EQ.

The PreSonus Digitube Single Channel Tube Preamp $249.00
    This is a 3 band, going as low as 30Hz which is also nice. Its not FULLY parametric, but is semi. I can select the frequencie desired to boost/cut, but no Q. But there is a Tube in this one, and my rig is all SS.

So, I think these might be what I'm looking for, and will compare both. I'm just wondering if Presonus sucks? I hope its decent stuff. Anyone have any thoughts on these?
  16. JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    I'd look into amps... your Jazz should be putting out plenty of bottom on it's end. Try something like an Ampeg with "Ultra-Low" or the Aguilar that someone else suggested. The Presonus stuff is alright but it's basically just cheap recording gear. Might work ok for you, but a good amp can't be beat.
  17. another amp isnt an option in my life right now.
  18. JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    Try an Ampeg SVP-Pro preamp instead of the Presonus stuff. Love the bottom on mine, and u can run it thru your current rig. BTW, what is your current rig?
  19. basically the Fender Jazz w/ Fender 250/115. The Fender 250/115 amp sounds great, but the only thing I dont like is the bass control boost at 80hz.

And I could be wrong, but usually Jazzes are know for lacking in the bottom end.

I'm just basically looking to boost at 30-50/60Hz. And get the best thing to do it under $250.00 A Tube is desired too.