Adding some bite to my tone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by brake, Jan 16, 2004.

1. brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Right now, my rig is a Spector NS2000/q4 into a Kustom KBA100 as a head into an Avatar B210 cabinet. Right now, my sound is "too clean" I guess.. I'd just like to add a bit of bite to it, a la Geezer in Bassically. Not heavily distorted, like Lemmy, just a bit of bite. Is there any way for me to get that kinda sound without going and buying a new tube head?
  2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Have you tried an overdrive pedal? If you dial in just a little overdrive, it can make your sound rougher without going overboard.
  3. brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    That's what I meant, I'm looking for an overdrive pedal that wont kill my sound and/or dynamics (the Lemmy effect), but just give me a hint of distortion.
  4. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    soudns like you need something with a true blend knob on it.
  5. Oh buddy, I know all about fat... I've been searching for a while for something that will fatten up my sound like many of my idols. The best bet is to get a booster, many are based off the mxr micro amp that actually simulated amp breakup (the lemmy and geezer effect). Fulltone makes two products that might produce this effect for you.

the fatboost (simulates mild amp breakup and compression)

and the bass drive (basically a mellowed tube screamer with a clean boost, I think jack bruce uses one.)

There's also a company called love pedal that makes a really good one that sounds like a saturated bass amp... there are also many more little underground companies that do a good job with bass distortion too. Check out and search through. I'm sure you'll find something you like, they have many sound samples.
  6. ModulusAcacia

ModulusAcacia Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 22, 2000
    Middletown/Cincy, OH WHO-DEY!
    owner: J. Kennedy Guitar Repair, Guitar tech for Walk the Moon
    that fulltone bassdrive does the trick for me.
  7. yeah, and here's another benifit to having a booster other than a fair amount of beef. To get your amp to sound like that you'de have to max out the volumes, my ampeg blew up trying to get that sound. From now on, it's just ss for me with a few effects that do the sound simulation.
  8. I just got a Tubeworks 903. Warm, tubey and it doesn't kill your tone. I'm hooked.