1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Adding speakers to a cab..Headache, or good project

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by peekypoo, Aug 8, 2012.

1. I have a chance to buy a Hartke 115 xl for $99.00 or less.
    I thought to myself would it be worth the challenge to later change
    the 15" woofer to Eminence, and add a 5" ,3" speaker to make the cabinet a 3 way? I would like for it to be 4 Ohms,"It currently is 8 Ohms.

Can anyone help me with ," What I would need to make this work":help: images.

2. If you have the DIY bug, there are better options than modding this cab. Which 4 Ohm speaker where you planning on using?

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Usually it's never a good idea to try to turn something into something it's not. If you have space on the baffle to hold a midrange, you'll still need to create an enclosure inside the cabinet to suit it. This will reduce that air volume seen by the woofer reducing its effectiveness.

4. The Eminence Delta-15LFA 15" speaker's performance is optimized for high power bass in sound reinforcement systems, bass guitar combos, club music systems, and stage monitors.
    List: $104.99
    Your Price $99.99.

Off the website, thank you for all your input already. What kind of crossover would I need to purchase to make this happen? I have good soldering skills, (Carpentry skills "meh") My brother inlaw is a Master carpenter though..:confused:

5. You would have to design one and build it yourself.

6. Are there any links here, that can steer me in that direction??

Thank You,

7. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
  8. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    does not need to be 4ohm to drag more power out of your amp.

single 15's such as this dont usually do more than 80/100watts below 100hz, so almost any amp will drive them to distortion.

96dB is low in sensitivity if your going to use a single 15.
    sensitivity closer to 98 to 100 dB would be more ideal.

otherwise if your going to put more power into the system to make up for poor sensitivity, your going to need alot more xmax
    than what the standard series Delta 15lfa offers.

the professional series has a Kappa Pro 15LF-2 which has more xmax about the same sensitivity 97dB but would do closer to 200 watts below 100hz.

9. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    oh yah forget to answer your question.

NO