1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Adding Speakon Connectors to an Ampeg B4R?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gadgetx23, Oct 11, 2006.

1. gadgetx23

gadgetx23

Jul 15, 2005
    I bought an Ampeg B4R under the assumption that it had Speakon connections. It shows them in the owners manual, but I later realized that it's only the export models that include them??

I'm using the amp in bridge mode, so my only other choice is to use the standoffs. I'd prefer to use Speakon if I could, so since the mounting locations exist for the speakon jacks, do you think it would be possible to install one and wire it? Has anyone ever done this?

2. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    I can't imagine why not - the wiring is mind numbingly simple, and as you have stated, the mounting positions are already there.

I would just like to know what idiot at Ampeg decided that the US market got to get the crappy connectors . . . . . what's with that??

- Tim

3. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    It is simple, any tech can do it.

As for the question...... At that time it was more like "we need these for compliance overseas"..... not what you suggested..... :D The binding post type are not usable overseas unless modified to have no banana plug capability, and 1/4" jacks technically do not meet compliance requirements for speakers, although that is widely ignored.

They never got added to domestic models later, mostly because demand was not there. They would have been put on if they were asked for by a significant number of folks.

4. KOakley

KOakley

Sep 26, 2002
    Hampton Va
    I did it. It took about an hour.

5. gadgetx23

gadgetx23

Jul 15, 2005
    Thanks -- that's what I was hoping for. Can someone point me in the right direction for the part to order?

6. panaran

panaran

Dec 1, 2008

Thought I'd just bring this thread back from the dead instead of opening a new one.

I essentially want to do the same thing. Just bought a B4R and want to use Speakon cables. Anybody know where to get the connectors and/or how to wire them? I've done a lot of this type of thing before so im sure i can handle it, I've just never tried on the B4R. Im not sure where the connections should be made. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks guys.

7. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

8. gadgetx23

gadgetx23

Jul 15, 2005
  9. panaran

panaran

Dec 1, 2008
    Cool thanks guys. Just ordered 4 of them (in case I smurf one up). How did you wire it in there? I took a look at wiring schematics in the owners manual and it looks pretty simple.

10. gadgetx23

gadgetx23

Jul 15, 2005
    I believe I just used some 12 gauge wire and soldered it parallel with inside terminals of the binding posts.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 18, 2021