1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Adding split coil bridge pickup to my pbass..standard or overwound?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pjb15, Apr 8, 2015.

1. pjb15

pjb15 Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Verona. NJ
    Hello, I'm adding a Lindy Fralin split coil jazz pickup to my p bass and was wondering if anyone had any advice on which one to get, standard, 5% overwound or 10% overwound. my pbass pup is a standard wind fralin that came in my Korean Lakland bob glaub skyline. Any input is really appreciated, thanks.

2. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    10 % overwound will make it closer to the imedance and Strength of the P pickup

pjb15 likes this.
  3. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    On the bench
    Be careful, though. An overwound, hot P pickup in the bridge position can sound harsh. I've been there and done that, and wasn't happy with the result. I just completed a second "double P" build, and used the same pickup model for both. The neck pickup I put in it has a DCR of 11.0K, the bridge has a DCR of 11.3K. That works out to about 2.7% "overwound." The pickup balance is great on that bass.

4. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    I believe he is referring to changing the J pickup on a P/J bass. Overwound J by 10% will not be a problem

5. Arvin

Sep 26, 2008
    On the bench
    LOL! I misread the OP, thought it was about adding a P pickup; I saw "split coil" and my feeble old brain went right to Precision...

LoveThatBass likes this.
  6. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    Feeble brain? Welcome to the club

7. Arvin

Sep 26, 2008
    On the bench
    There's a club for that? Can I have a number please? Oh, wait, never mind, I'd forget it anyway. ;)

LoveThatBass likes this.
  8. Laurent

Laurent

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    Depends on the tone you are looking for. Overwound pickups can get bassy and have more emphasis on the fundamental. Regular wound pickups have more overtones.
    In other words, the overwound sound more frontal, punch and direct, the regular wound more complex in tone. It's a gross generalization of overwound versus regular wound (if there is such a thing!) but that will give you another angle to consider.

9. pjb15

pjb15 Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Verona. NJ
    Thank you guys, your input is much appreciated.

10. I'd ask Fralin. Call him up and see what he thinks.

LoveThatBass likes this.
  11. acebase62

acebase62

Jun 29, 2010
    Position of the J pickup will play a role in the equation.

If closer to bridge, it might sound somewhat thinner, and might benefit more from overwind.

If closer to neck pickup, overwind might not be needed.

Pickup construction, technique, string selection, other things could impact as well.

12. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    I have a Symour Duncan Stk2 with my Spb1 p pickup. This was suggested by members here because the p pickup is stronger than a j