Adding Stingray Pickup Between Jazz Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TimWilson, Jul 28, 2017.

1. I bought a Seymour Duncan SMB5 Stingray pup to drop in between the stock pups of a Fender Active Jazz (controls are: Vol, Blend, Stacked Bass/Treble, Mid).

Can anyone please tell me what switches I need to add and provide a diagram to give me three basic options: Stock pups only, Stingray Pup only, and All?

Thanks!

2. You have to decide for yourself what switch to use. Did you want a blade switch, a Gibson style toggle, a mini toggle, or something else?

3. I'll try anything! But the local guru spent a day with it, and he says you simply cannot add a pickup to the active Fender circuit in that bass. There are no more places available on the "pad".

But I've seen it done! Wondering if it requires a whole different preamp.

4. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Plenty of cheap options to replace that below average (IMO) stock preamp. Are you sure it will fit, seems like you'd need 70s J pickup spacing to fit that pickup in the middle.

Frenchy-Lefty likes this.

Attached Files:

birminghambass likes this.
  6. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    He's wrong. Practically all bass preamps only have one input, so obviously that has to be after any individual volume controls, pickup blend controls and/or pickup switches. There doesn't need to be another 'pad'. The signal from all the pickups is fed to a single input on the preamp.

7. But this might be one of those preamps with all of the pots mounted on the PCB. If so, then you cannot modify the control scheme without doing extensive work on the PCB. If not, however, then you could certainly add a pickup if you wanted.

Crater likes this.
  8. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    exactly why?

that's the wrong location for the pickup, it won't sound anything like a music man. also, the "all at once" tone is usually less than the sum of its parts, the more pickups you add the more they kind of cancel each other's tone.

if you really really wanted that MM sound, what would make more sense is to just replace the bridge J with the MM pickup set in the correct location. that way it could be easily wired right in where the bridge J was.

devnulljp likes this.
  9. Took it to a different local tech who suggested simply slaving the new Duncan pup to the rear Jazz pup, and it works great. I then added a micro toggle to easily cut the Duncan when I want the original sound.

And yes, this preamp IS mounted to the volume pot, so no additional pups could be added to it individually.