1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Adding strap locks to a bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jlepre, Aug 25, 2012.

1. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    ...where the holes are too big for the new screws. I thought I read somewhere that I need to fill the hole with a mixture of wood glue and saw dust. Is this the only way?

If this is posted in the wrong section, please move with my apologies.

2. I'm a broken tooth pick or broken drumstick pieces kinda guy...

3. kbakerde

kbakerde Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Delaware
    Can you use the old screws?

4. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    ...impregnated with wood glue, then wait two hours before inserting new screw. Has worked for me many times.

5. vince a

vince a

Jun 13, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    If that happens, and it obviously has, I use the screws that I just took out. Sometimes, those screws don't seat all the way, but I use them anyway . . . the part you just installed may be loose, it may rotate freely, etc., but if the screw tightens up . . . it won't come off! Have successfully done this many, many times - no issues!

6. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    If they work, why not? Oftimes, however, they don't work.

7. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    The old screw heads are too big to fit in the opening for the strap lock.

If I use wood glue won't I have to re drill the holes before putting the screws back?

8. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    You can get away with not using glue. Usually I just stuff a few toothpicks in to fill the hole somewhat, cut them off so a quarter inch sticks out of the hole, lightly tap them in a bit more with a hammer, cut them off flush, then screw the screw back in.

9. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Depends on which straplocks you're using and which bass you're putting them on.
    Of the two most famous brands: Dunlop uses bigger thread sized screws, so you usually have to drill the hole bigger on most basses. Where Schaller uses a smaller thread size so you usually have to dowel or shim the hole on most basses.

Lets say you are putting them on a Musicman...the Dunlops fit right in without any mods. But Musicman has their own line of straplocks now.

10. greggster59

greggster59

Oct 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    +1

I did this when I installed Ernie Ball Super Locks on my Fender Jazz. That was two years ago and no problems whatsoever.

11. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

Aug 23, 2011

This. I shoved about 5 toothpicks in the pin hole on the horn of my CV. Started spinning, then kept shoving until it wouldn't fit any more. Put the pin back on, hasn't moved since, and I like the swing it by the strap to prove how strong it is.

12. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I've actually had the best luck filling the hole with toothpicks and wood glue, breaking them off flush, putting a little wood glue on the screws, and cranking them in while the glue is still wet... If I can't tighten them down really good while still wet, I add toothpicks and woodglue 'til I can - and I've never had any loosen up on me that way - and that's considering that I throw my basses around pretty good during a typical 4 hour gig...

- georgestrings

13. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Two options:

*Use the new screws that came with the straplocks. Cram some toothpicks laden with wood glue into the hole and trim flush with the body. Install strap pin / screw while the glue is still wet...allowing the glue to dry first defeats the purpose.

*Use the old screws but knock down the outer edge of the screw head with a file (tedious!) or Dremel grinder so it fits comfortably within the recess.

Riis

14. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

If you have a flat file and a drill, it's pretty easy - just chuck the screw up into the drill, and use the drill and file like you would a lathe and cutting tool...

- georgestrings

15. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Excellent! But then again, every self-respecting bassist should own a Dremel tool. Those little "rag" buffing wheels are great for rubbing out scratches and stuff.

Riis

16. And the truly multi-talented bassist out there can also use a bench grinder.

I use the orig. sized screws and grind the heads so I can replace the straplockls w/the orignal strap buttons if ever/when I decide to sell.

17. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I just toothpicked a bass today when switching it from Dunlops to Schallers. If for some reason the screws work their way loose, I will go the toothpick+glue route, which has never failed me.

18. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    If you do the toothpick and glue does it make this a permanent situation? I mean will I still be able to remove the screw if I decide to put it back to it's original? Maybe I could go to my local Home Depot, and find screws with smaller heads?

19. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Agreed - I have a couple of those, also - but have found that the drill and file method is quicker and easier than deploying a dremel in this circumstance...

- georgestrings

20. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Yeah, a bench grinder will do, also - I just figured that people here are more likely to have access to a hand drill than a bench grinder...

- georgestrings