Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

adding tapping into one of my bands songs

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Fishbrain, Jun 8, 2003.

1. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    in one of my bands songs, it slows down in the middle and im playin three chord arpeggio things

G 21 19
    D
    A 17

G 12
    D
    A 13

G 17
    D
    A 15

sumthin like that.

too make it a bit more interestin i was thinkin bout makin it into tapping but dont really know how, could anybody suggest a way that i could do this?

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
  3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    LMAO!!!!!!!!

:D

4. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    that was the response i got last time, if ur gonna be an idiot atleast be an original one

5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Well, what exactly are you asking? Are you familiar with tapping? Do you do it regularly? What type rhythm is the piece in? Inquiring minds need to provide more info..

You can formulate based on the chord voicings.. you can find a counter melody... lots of options..

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I'm probably the one who gave you that response last time. I have given it several times, and if anyone else gave it to you, they stole it from me. It's all in fun, sorry you were offended.

7. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    still doesnt make it original if u'v used it before. i just thought a serious question might get a serious answer. wishful thinking?

8. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    You could tap the root with the left hand down low, to keep the bass notes, and then tap the arpeggioes up top with the right. Check out some of Stu Hamm's stuff. Particularly what he does with Joe Satriani on the live version of 'Always With Me, Always With You'. He does something very much like I've just mentioned.

9. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Last night my band tried out a groovy version of Randy Crawford's Give Me the Night. The guitarist was changing chords too quickly, so I used my right hand to hold down doublestops outlining the chords (A + D for Bm7, A + E for F#m7, each sustained for two bars) while keeping the bass riff (a repeating two bar phrase - interesting because the first time it's under one chord and the next time the harmony has changed while the bass riff is the same) going with the left hand.

I need to practise to get it a bit cleaner but it actually sounded pretty good - I may see if I can wangle that as a bass intro for the song (that way I can be sure it comes in at the right tempo in the right key :D )

So, that's one approach - keep a riff going, but fill in some harmony by holding additional notes.

Wulf

Wulf

10. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    thankya:)

11. walewein

walewein

Jun 13, 2003
    Belgium
    Well i think you should play the notes on the A string one octave lower, so you have your left hand doing the low bass thingies and your right hand free to do some cool things over it.

12. The best Tapper i've ever met or saw is Garry Goodman, he's been tapping for 30+ years. In fact he was the first cat I ever saw tapping back in 77. Contact him thru www.mp3.com/garry_goodman He's a really great guy and very generous with his time. He's really perfected his technique.
    Give a listen to his stuff, I'm sure he'd answer any questions you pose.
    Peace and Good Luck

13. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    thanx again