Adding "tautness" to string feel

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Mon Rominee, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Hello fellow bassists, I was wondering if you had any advice for me: I currently have a Fender P-Special that when I play fingerstyle, the response / feel of the strings is a bit more rubbery than I like. I was wondering if there were any quick-tips on how to add a more taut feel to the strings? I have enough wraps on the posts whereas the strings are buried to the peghead, and at the bridge it's passable (a Badass II, don't expect much) but some of the groove stuff I do is hampered by the floppiness. I don't really hamfist my fingerstyle work but...

is it my strings? I use GHS boomers, and generally like them, but if there's something out there with a bit more taut feel, I'd love suggestions. I was considering half-flats for zing without the "clank" and a smooth bottom...

Could it be solved with a little more downpressure past the nut, like if I installed a string bar?

Am I just gonna have to live with it?

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

thanks in advance.
  2. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Do the boomers have a hex core? Try other strings, like DR LoRiders or D'Addario XLs. Also, maybe try a thicker gauge strings.
  3. bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    A thicker gauge string will definitely help.
  4. Really? That's excellent to know. I generally use medium-light guage... I will go a bit heavier.

Yeah, the boomers are hex-core.

THANKS GUYS!!!!!
  5. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I'm going through a tension ####-fit right now.... I rotate strings and have a couple of sets that are not the same tension as the sets that I'm used to using. I need high tension strings to be happy and I keep putting on the lower tension sets. :rolleyes: :D
  6. so, would anybody suggest any other setup tips I may be misssing? I have moderate relief on my neck, and medium action (the way I like it)

I will try some heavier strings in the meantime.
  7. Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    If the action is where you like it, and you don't want to buy a bass with a longer scale, changing strings is really the only option that will have a significant effect on tension.

A heavier set of Boomers is 1 way to go, but you might want to try a set of D'Addario Chrome flatwounds. They have higher tension than most other strings of similiar gauges, and I find them plenty bright. In fact, a guitarist I regularly jam with didn't know I used flats until I told him.
  8. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    I'd try a medium or medium-heavy gauge out, and see how that feels for you. It may require a truss rod adjustment, but nothing major. It might take you sometime to get used to, but you might really like it.
  9. That's really interesting. I usually don't like flatwounds at all...I mean the feel is superb, but the tone...

I'll have to look into those when I have a little extra scratch.

10. naughtry

Jan 31, 2004
    NYC / D.C.
    I would guess slightly more relief to make the strings seem tighter but from your desription I'm note sure if perhaps you have too much relief instead.

I've spent hours seting up my Fenders and the truss rod is key to getting them to play how you want I think.

Also, DR Lo Riders have a stiffer feel I keep going back after other strings feeling sloppy.