Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Adding Texture to my Tone - (Mild Grit n' Grind)???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Jul 15, 2005.

1. As your already well aware, I'm obsessed with getting a nice growly, aggressive sound. I'm still on that quest-for-tone. I dont think I'm quite there yet so I'm humbly asking for your recomendations on a good pedal that does what I'm looking for.

Here's EXACTLY what I'm looking for. I dont want a heavy, overdrive sound and NOWHERE near a distorted sound. I'm looking for something to just add a little texture to the tone, sorta like a mild sandpaper to illustrate. Words that come to mind are grit, grind, yes Growl... but not overdrive. Now I know there pedals that can do both, by blending the clean signal w/ the drive signal so I'm fully prepared to accept a recomendation on a pedal that does that. But I wont be pushing the OD section much.

I would like to keep a nice punchy solid low end response and something that doesn't suck out the mids either.

I've tried the infamous SansAmp Bass Driver and I didn't like it. It totally revoiced the bass and completely altered the instrumetns natural tone/voice in my opinion. I'm looking for something thats more transparent. Do you have any recomendations?

2. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    i think you might be looking at a good preamp/eq pedal of some kind. ordinarily i would associate grind/growl with overdrive, but yeah maybe something like a sadowsky outboard preamp or fodera 2000 (ive played neither so just take these as ideas).

in terms of the growl-factor, i think a lot of it is determined by your bass. ive got an ibanez sr400 bass with onboard preamp and its really quite growly and has a nice modern tone. here is a thread that has some clips of that bass, some of them feature a nice punchy and growly sound especially low on the fretboard: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186869&highlight=catalinbread+teaser. in the recordings that growl comes through nicely on my computer preamp which is a creative audigy 2.. which is why im thinking a good preamp might be the way to go?

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Did you read the od/distortion review mega thread?
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95172

Is this a different request from your prior one?
    http://talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190473

If you look in that thread, you'll see recommendations for the ebs multidrive, fulltone bassdrive and sparkle drive among others.
    They are all good at doing a 'hair'. The ebs loses a little bit of high end, the sparkle drive is excellent but being a tubescreamer clone it has a bit of a mid hump. The fulltone in 'comp cut' mode is imo the most transparent of the three.

4. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    check out a Fulltone Bass Drive (use Comp-Cut mode if you do)

5. mid hump?

6. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yes, mid hump. It's a very common term in effects terminology. It means that it has a more prominent midrange, this is a common feature of Tubescreamer type pedals.

7. what does comp cut mode do?

8. So I bassially donw to the Voodoo Sparkle, Sansamp (will give another try *sigh* and be very gentle w/ the blend knob) and the Fulltone BassDrive. Which do you guys think would be the best out of the three?

9. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm kind of in the same place as you, and have a similar set up. I have a Fender Jazz with a Badass II bridge, and use a Fender 400 Pro amp. I've really been pumping up my mids, and keeping the low and treble section around halfway. I have my master gain up a good bit as well as the gain on my three-band Semi-parametric EQ (mids). this gives me a nice growly sound without using a box.

Being in a three-man band, I find at times I want to add to the OD (distortion isn't really my thing). I'm trying out a DOD 250 Preamp/Overdrive right now. It might work used subtly, but I'll have to figure out how to mod it for true bypass, because when it's plugged in and off, it seems to rob a bit of my amp's gain.

I haven't tried the VooDoo Sparkle Drive, but blending a clean signal and a slightly overdriven signal (I think that is what it does) sounds VERY appealing.

10. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    It's just one of the modes available, there's a mid focused mode, one less mid focused and 'comp cut' which is the most open and transparent of the three modes.

11. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    you're going to get people recommending all three, so read the reviews here on all three and work out what factors are most important to you. I can't tell you what you'll like, as all our tastes are different.

The voodoo is the best bang for the buck of the ones I mentioned.
    I'm personally not a fan of the sansamp for mild od, you should add the ebs to your list to check out.

12. mattm0805

mattm0805

Oct 13, 2004
    I just bought the Fulltone bass drive, and I love it. It blows the sansamp away (which I have a sansamp BDDI) The fulltone is very diverse in its tones. I mostly use it for a little dirt. check it out.

13. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    Can I get an Amen? ;)

14. My only scare with the Fulltone Bassdrive is no blend knob. If you have the gain knob turned low, can you get very, EXTREMELY subtle grit. For some reason I have a feeling that thing is going to sound like a distortion pedal, and no matter how low I have the gain, its going to be more then what I'm looking for. Again, all becuase of no blend knob.

15. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    don't even worry about it... in comp-cut mode, it's capable of VERY subtle grit. In regular mode, it's more of an OD, and the seperate Boost mode is the real distortion. I never use mine in Boost mode, and from the sound of it, you won't either. And even without using that mode, it's still worth the price! No need for a blend knob whatsoever. It does not sound like a distortion pedal unless you engage the Boost feature.

16. Ok, well if you can't tell me which one I would like the best, which one do YOU like the best and why.

Thanks guys!

17. Does anyone have any experience w/ EH LPB2UBE ? Its a dual channel tube preamp that can be ganged as an overdrive.

Lets throw this one up in the mix....

18. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Personally, my favorite is the dredgetone angler - nice huge sound if you want it, no low end loss. Unfortunately, they're not made anymore.

If you want nothing else added to your sound bar a bit of grit, IMO the Fulltone is closest to what you're looking for. The Sparkle Drive is great, and at really low settings the mid hump will be much less noticeable.

19. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Alright I just messed with my EQ and I've got really sexy growl.

1. Use both humbuckers.
    2. Lows on bass maxed.
    3. Mids on bass maxed.
    4. Highs on bass in the middle.
    5. Lows on amp maxed.
    6. Mids on amp maxed.
    7. Highs on amp at 3 o'clock.

I call it the Justin Chancellor mixed with Timmy C. mixed with old school Geddy Lee tone. Now I don't have to fiddle the knobs on my Guv'nor when I want uber distortion and slight grit. :hyper:

20. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    cool maybe you have found YOUR tone?

i find its best to minimise the amount of places in your setup that the EQ is altered. I have an active, so EQ generally should only take place on the bass preamp and everything else set flat so as not to bias any frequencies. if you play a passive though you might consider just using your amps eq or getting an outboard preamp etc. i think that maintaining your bass' signal clarity is important in terms of growl so if you must use an OD of some sort, you want one that want alter that too much and i think the fulltone like the others said is a good way to go.