1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Adding thickness for a body... options?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Headless Llama, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Some of you guys may be aware of a new build I have started. I went to the hardwood store today, and I purchased a beautiful piece of bubinga.

I knew when I bought it that it was a little too thin. My first thought is to add material to the back. I purchased an extra piece of bubinga to accommodate this. I am now thinking that it would look funny like this. Like I put the "top" on the back. :) The extra piece is very straight grained, and has no character. So, there is no way I am putting it on the top. :)

The body is too wide (14") to resaw, and use as a top. There must be a clever way to do this!

I have enough wood to cut the shape out, and plane the left over piece for the back. This way the wood grain will match. But I really wanted to use it for a second body.

2. I figured out a way to do it. I am going to take the wood back and have them thickness sand it down to 3/4 inch, and glue them together to give me 1.5 inches.

3. Why don't you cut it in half, than you have two 7" pieces. After that, resaw them to make two tops.

lowsound

4. Good idea. I could get a bunch of 1/4" tops out of this board then. I have a nice piece of mahogany sitting in my shop that I could use for a body. Maybe with a nice black veneer as an accent line between the two.

Thanks! Now I am thinking :)