Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Adding to my EA rig...Aphex 1402 or SABDDI?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yamarc, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I play Modulus VJ4 thorugh an EA iamp350 & 2 Epifani 1X10UL's. I am looking to add a little more bottom end to my volume and tone. I know that these are totally different boxes but I would like opinions on which most one most people prefer..

I like the EA sound but it would be great to add a little more 'old school' warmth. The 110's are great but I would like to add a little mo' bottom end (without losing clarity or clipping the iamp) when playing live. Let me know which you prefer and why...Thanks, Marc

2. Hi.

Aphex 1402 especially livens up passive basses and not so active. I do not think it has a lot to do with an amp itself. On a 112 combo, my Jazz sounded really hot, but there was no real difference with my alembic (through 112, it really didn't help much).

IMO it will enhance sound of your rig significantly, if your modulus is passive, otherwise it's hard to notice.

iAmp 350 is a great amp. Consider getting more speakers...

Keep grooving

Jure

3. DenisW

DenisW

May 5, 2002
    Cork,Ireland
    Hi,

I use the Aphex Bass Xciter with an EBS Drome 1x12 Combo and a Warwick Thumb Bass.I find it really enhances the sound.It works really well for Passive Basses as well,if not better.What I love about the Pedal is that it does not colour your sound only makes it bigger and more transparent.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    For the old school warmth, you might want to try an overdrive unit like the Fulltone Bass-Drive. While it certainly excels at the in your face overdrive stuff, it can also be used in a much more subtle fashion. A tube overdrive pedal might work also. As for getting the T-110UL's to go deeper, I would recommend against trying to force them to produce any more low end that the iAMP 350 is already trying to push into them. I have a T-110UL, and while it has respectable low end for such a small cab (especially at lower volumes), it does not take well to having a lot of low end pushed through it. Try adding some cabs, or swapping out one of the T-110ULs for a T-112UL. I have a T-112/T-110UL combo, and they sound fantastic together.

Tom.