1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Adding trim detailing to my upright

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Slapstyle, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Slapstyle

Slapstyle

Dec 3, 2009
    Maine
    Id like to add white trim around the perimiter and f holes of my bass, without permenantly altering it. Any suggestions?

I've also been thinking about static clingies or some other way to add decals without permenantly changing the bass. I have a fear of commitment. :)

2. Rebop

Rebop

Jul 9, 2008
    La Honda, CA
    I did this to my "stunt bass". Just a Palatino so I used Vinyl pinstripe tape from Pep Boys. Only $4.99 a roll. Later on I did a highlight stripe to the scroll and finished the ff hole nicks, too, but I don't have a photo handy.

It really pops in good stage lights and is cheap. If you have a tough poly finish like this thing then it's not too bad actually. The tape comes off and only leaves a little glue behind which cleans up easy. I'd be hesitant to put it on an oil varnished or nitro sprayed bass, though. This is just a stunt bass for the biker bar gigs and loud festival/concert venues.

riTx6Ps.

robobass and GKon like this.
  3. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Queens, NY
    Yup, adhesive pinstripe tape
    It comes in many colors, widths and single or double stripe.

I put a red 1/8" stripe around the perimeter of my EUB. It looks really good and is removable.

12250179_10153936958790934_4442834858533480860_n. 12246613_10153936958820934_633665536236708640_n.

4. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Why not go all the way? Look here.

Sgroh87 likes this.
  5. Yes, lights inside the bass. And a smokemachine.

6. Slapstyle

Slapstyle

Dec 3, 2009
    Maine
    Yus. Ground fx. Next mod for sure.

7. Slapstyle

Slapstyle

Dec 3, 2009
    Maine

Looks good. Did you use 2 different widths? Looks like f hole is 1/8" and body is 1/4?

8. Rebop

Rebop

Jul 9, 2008
    La Honda, CA
    Something like that but I don't remember the actual sizes. I'll measure and photograph the bass how it looks right now.
    One roll was a single stripe for the borders, and the other was a double stripe with a tiny pinstripe and another one a little bigger next to it. I split the double stripe for the smaller one to use around the ff holes and the scroll.

I actually ran out of the pinstripe tape while doing the lower part of the back (at least I was smart enough to leave the back for last) and had to go back to pepboys up the street. I got the last roll of the first size so I improvised with the double stripe of the same color and made it work.

9. Rebop

Rebop

Jul 9, 2008
    La Honda, CA
    Here ya go.

The main stripe was done in 1/4".
    The double line on the bottom of the back is 1/8" and 1/16".
    1/16" used around the scroll and ff holes.

Looking at it now, it's so beat up from getting thrown around and stood on by me and the guitar player. So many memories!

P.S. If anyone actually plans on doing this, put aside twice the amount of time you think it's going to take.

5sXohEG.
    hITNvTs. yoM59SD.

GKon likes this.
  10. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Queens, NY
    I like how that came out!

11. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Let's hear it for cheap "show" basses! Mine is a blonde with the edges of the f-holes painted crimson, same inside the pegbox. Bridge is dyed black, but I think I am going to replace it with one dyed the same red. Tailpiece is one of those alloy Wittners and it might as well be crimson too.

Slapstyle and GKon like this.
  12. Slapstyle

Slapstyle

Dec 3, 2009
    Maine
    So far so good! More to do but happy thus far. After visiting every auto parts and paint supply place in a 10 mile radius, I got half inch vinyl pinstripe tape at a sign maker. Just under 80 feet for like 16 bucks. It took about 20 to do the front and back. I have 150 feet of 1/4" I got for 7 bucks at an auto paint store which he gave me at half the sticker price because pinstriping is passe, and it wasn't selling. I was going to do the sides with that but I'm thinking I'll go half inch the whole way around. I'm not officially decided but that's how I'm leaning.

If anyone's going to do this, my small group of suggestions are, be patient, have some extra so the part you screw up before you getthe hang of it can be re-done, and dont be afraid to stretch it. Some good tension is needed to keep it from bunching in the corners. Caution though, the more you stretch it into the corner, the thinner the strip will get.

Attached Files:

13. Slapstyle

Slapstyle

Dec 3, 2009
    Maine
    I think it came out alright.

20160213_153928.

Povl Carstensen likes this.