1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Adding Value

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by nhaight, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Whats the best way to add value to my guitars? :smug:

2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Solid gold hardware?

3. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    *assuming you mean add value so you can sell them*

Honestly, any addition you put into a guitar is going to net a loss for you. For example, say you upgrade the pickups and throw in a $100 set you'd be lucky to make back $70 if you were to sell the guitar. You might say, "it's a $100 set of pups," but a buyer will come back with, "sure, but if I don't like them and want to get rid of them for something else I'd only be able to sell them for $70."

4. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    dont play it leave it in a case untouched for 50 years. Then sell it

5. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Generally you cant add value. Upgrades are concidered devalueing since top dollar is generally only given for stock instruments in mint condition. Upgrading pups, hardware etc can make it more valuable to you, but not to others in general terms.

6. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Become an internationally famous superstar.

7. bunnykeeper

bunnykeeper

May 28, 2011
    Japan
    +1 to multiple posts. Depending on the instrument, you can actually get more parting it out.

As for adding personal value, to me, improving playability is top priority. There's nothing that endears me more to a bass or guitar.

8. +1

9. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    I am kind of wondering if the op has an inexpensive instrument, and wants to trade up. I see this with kids in cars and motorcycles all the time, and it really is a great dream. It is revived with every generation, and every retelling of exaggerated "fish stories", but it is just not realistic

If this is the case, that dream is unattainable. Everyone would like to be able to do this, and if it was possible everyone would. The reality is that most "hobby" builds are a money loss. You put more into it than you get out of it... My advise would be that if you want to customize your gear, do it because it is what you want. Make it your own. Make it unique. Just realize that while the value man increase to you, and while your investment increases, resale value will not hold the same. If you are using it, it depreciates in value

10. Then die.

11. Or get backstage passes to a show by someone who is, and plays that model of guitar, and get that person to sign it...then put 'er on the Bay.
    :D