1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Adding warmth to Cort Curbow

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by NicJimBass, May 12, 2010.

1. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson! Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    64 Audio · DR Strings · Source Audio · Hipshot
    I picked up a Cort Curbow 5 in a trade deal a while back, and I love how it plays, how even the neck is, and how light it is. The tone is the only sticking point. This is an earlier model with the Mighty Mite pickup and some no-name pre, and it also has a luthite body. Looking to swap at least the pickup, and maybe the whole electronics package for something that is a little more versatile, and less sterile and bright. My first thought was Barts, but I'm wanting to try SGD's, and considering an Aguilar OBP-3. Any other suggestions?

2. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

How about trying a set of flatwound strings? The TI JF345 flats, though expensive, are wonderful.

Much cheaper, and much easier, than starting to tear apart pickups and electronics.

3. NicJimBass

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    I'm not a fan of flats, unless it's on a passive bass, and even then, I'm not a big fan. For the music I play (pop/ rock covers) flats seem to make my tone disappear, no matter what bass I use. Granted, the only one's I've tried are D'Addario Chromes and Roto's, but the results are about the same.

The bass did come with SS strings, and I swapped them yesterday for nickels, and that helped soften the sound a little, but the natural sound of the instrument is pretty bright/ cold. I may try it at a gig or 2 this weekend, and see how things go.

4. NicJimBass

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    bump

5. SebbyNC

SebbyNC

Mar 17, 2005
    Guadeloupe
    I would change first the preamp instead of the pickups. The MK-1 preamp seems to be the weakest link in the MK-1 system. Getting a real US Brat pre, or some other kind of pre, would probably let the pickups sing better.
    Then if still not what you want, you could swap the pickup. SGD's are great, that's what I have in my current bass.

6. NicJimBass

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    This one doesn't have the MK-1 system... it's the Mighty Mite system.

7. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Id replace the pups and the preamp myself. Or at very least the pups first.

8. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    the Bart/Aggie idea sounds good..

9. NicJimBass

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Well, not sure if this fits the bill, but I ended up grabbing a Villex NVT soapbar from a fellow TB'r to throw into the cort. If nothing else, it'll sound better!

10. NicJimBass

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Got the Villex yesterday, and spent the night playing around. Tried it with the stock no-name preamp on the Cort, as well as straight to the jack passive.

Dropping the pickup in was a good thing all around. The overall output dropped a bit, but the tone is great. The highs, which used to be very sharp and bright with the Mighty Mite pickup, are now a little more subdued and much more useable with the Villex. Overall, the pickups are very even sounding, and sound great. I'm really happy with this purchase!

11. NicJimBass

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    I tried the Villex in the Cort in a band setting, and I was left underwhelmed. Seemed as though I was fighting to be heard, even when I turned my amp up. Hard to describe, but I wasn't digging it like I was when I played solo.

Recently swapped the Villex for a Bartolini dual-coil, and so far, it is great. Louder than the Villex, and is clear and warm. really fits well with the Cort.