1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Adding wheels to an 8X10 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by grisezd, May 13, 2010.

1. grisezd

grisezd

Oct 14, 2009
    Ohio
    I did some searching but didn't come up with much. Probably because I didn't know what to ask for.

I just picked up a Madison 8X10 cab nice and cheap. I will need to shlep this thing around and want to add some wheels. It currently has rigid casters attached to the bottom of the back panel and nice handles up top for rolling it around. Unfortunately one of the casters is in need of replacement. While I'm at it I'm wondering if there is a better solution. The rigid casters stick out a good bit taking up space in the car and prone to all sorts of disaster. They also seem like they'd stand a good chance of tearing out when I have to drag this thing up a curb or a few stairs.

What I have in mind is a smaller set of wheels, mounted closer to the cabinet than the monsters that are on there now. Maybe skateboard wheels or similar, four or more of them, on an axle that spans from side to side. Wedge shaped brackets for the axle could be mounted to the sides of the cab, then an extra tressle or two could be across the back.

Rather than re-invent the wheel (heh), is there anything like this in the market, or can I see what you've done?

2. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    If you are willing to do some surgery on the cabinet, I highly recommend recessed tilt-back casters. They aren't your exposed axle with skate wheels design, they're better. It might take some skill with saw, though.

http://www.reliablehardware.com/tiltcasters.aspx

3. bovine mind

bovine mind

Jun 17, 2008
    San Francisco
    I need to do the same thing with a Sunn 215BH cabinet. Any tips on how to keep from drilling too far into the cabinet and creating an air leak? I get paranoid with this kind of stuff...

4. Mo'Phat

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Well...unless the cut is less than 3/4", you're going to go all the way through the wood. If you go this route, remove a speaker, and caulk the wheel well.

This corner-mount tilt caster would probably not require cutting all the way through the wood...but I'm not 100% sure.

http://www.reliablehardware.com/cornercastertilt.aspx

5. bovine mind

bovine mind

Jun 17, 2008
    San Francisco
    Thanks, going to have my tech do it. My cab already has a really nasty rattle that I couldn't fix myself. Long crack running down the cab from the edge of where one of the speaker screws are. 3 clamps, wood glue, and permatex sealant and I still can't figure out why it's still rattling so bad. Best to just have a tech run a full diag and installation.

6. grisezd

grisezd

Oct 14, 2009
    Ohio
    Wow, that caster is the bomb. I like that the bracket wraps around. I saw a similar inset caster but was wondering what to do about the front of the cab tilting down. Seeing that they offer a fancy "leveling kit" might just make this the winning idea.

And to think I was going to take apart my skateboard!!! Still, it dawned on me to use the skateboard trucks and wheels together. Would stick out but would look cool!

7. Mo'Phat

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Or you can just get rubber feet. They make all different sizes, but 'about an inch' should do you for just about any recessed caster.

Reliable Hardware sells feet, or you can go to www.partsexpress.com . Plenty there to choose from.