Adding wheels

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tym2cu_bass, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Hey, I wasn't sure if this should go in the amp forum, or the miscellaneous forum, so its going here :)

Anyway, I just got a Peavey TNT 115 er.. today. I like it, but I was wondering if it would be safe to add wheels? like, would I just take off the rubber protectors off the bottum and then screw wheels on in its place? of course I'm guessing I'd have to use the same size screw...

So really, only one person needs to post, just tell me if I'm right or wrong. Oh ya, and would I just use like, small funature wheels?
  2. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Congratulations on your new Peavey! That's a pretty versatile and reliable combo... You'll probably be hard pressed to find a durable caster that will screw into the bottom of your cabinet with a single wood screw the same size as the one holding in the rubber foot... The little furniture ones blow, and you'll be destroying them pretty quickly if you roll on any kind of rough surface. If you don't want to drill holes and screw in some decent casters, (probably 2" at least... 4 screws per caster... I wouldn't really want to go this route either), you could always make an amp dolly...

Get some 3/4" plywood cut to the same size as the base of your cabinet, screw this to the bottom of your amp using the same four screws that currently hold on the feet, (you'd be taking them off, of course), then mount your casters to the board... If you really wanna be fancy, you can paint the board black to match your amp...

Fred Meyers has 2" swivel casters that would work nicely for this for about $2.50 ea. I'm using them on my amp currently and they're passable... It's a bit more work, but you won't be drilling into you new amp!

Good luck,

3. Heh. Thanks for the advice, I'll try the dolly thing in about a week. I didn't really thing about that. I still gotta go back up to the guitar center and get my Digitech BP50 bass modeler.
  4. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    I just did this to my SWR Big Ben cabinet. Hard to believe it didn't come with casters???

Anyway, the fix is simple. Go on eBay and buy a set of amp casrets with the inserts. Check the clearance of the amp internals and drill a hole to big enough to fit the insert in.

Slip them in and attach with 4 small screws. You won't even need to predrill.

It's makes a pro job exactly like they do it in the factory. :hyper:
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

By all means, take Robert's advice to heart.

I bought some of the most expensive casters I could find to put into some very expensive cabs that weren't pre-drilled for any kind of casters.

- The first part of the horror story is that I found I was drilling through acoustic insulation after I got past the wood. For about a week, my speakers were blowing out white particles, even though the sound didn't suffer.

- The second part of the horror story is that when the cabs had to be rolled across old brick pavements in historic districts in some citites, (where a lot of clubs are), the casters began to tear out of the cabs.

A dolly or one of the fold-up carts that many online music stores sell and that with come with some bungee-type cords and hooks, are the way to go.
  6. Ill just get something like this:

'cept i wont have that gay handle bar thing :)
  7. I put a set of Prosound castors from maplin on my Trace 4X10 cab- just removed the feet and screwed the castors on (I use a bradawl to make woodscrew holes rather than a drill).

they're rated for 40kg each but still tend to bend over time.
    I've had to hammer them straight again.

no problem with them tearing out of the wood though.

the amp dolly idea sounds better, only problem being a bit of extra weight and slight increase in overall height of the cab which might be a problem when loading into a car.
  8. I put castors on the botom of my Crate BX100. It sure makes it easier to move it around, however I feel that the low end sound seems to be missing a bit from the amp like it did when it was directly on the ground. Anyone else notice this kind of problem?
    If I do this again, I would put them on the side of the amp or go with an amp dolly. :hyper:

Dave Starr: Bassist with CHASTAIN & Vicious Rumors

9. ah, but what you fail to realise is once I get my dolly, I'll then by a fork lift and then stick that in my driveway so then I can load it on my truck no prob. :rollno:
  10. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Wouldn't be worried because of that. Speaker cabs use some sort of acoustic foam or wool or similar to kill higher frequences a bit - they won't be malfunctioning or suddenly starting to sound bad if you happen to dislocate a tad of the stuff with a drill. And that's just moving air pushing those few loose particles out, there's a boxful of the stuff still inside the cab.

Anyways, I just drilled few small casters straight into my Peavey TNT-130. No problems ever since, although if you want to be sure you could first attach a piece of wooden board underneath the combo to strenghten it a bit.
  11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

You're exactly right, Tsal. They were Eden XLT cabs and they had more high end and definition than I like, even with the Eden tweeter controls set to almost nothing.

Still, it made me feel pretty damn dumb.
  12. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    It may just be that the sound is not bouncing off the floor like it was.
  13. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    If you are going to put on casters, Mesa Track-Loc are the only way to go. They have a wide bass that screws into your cab so they won't rip out, plus it's really quick to take them off (and they don't wear down and fall out like the kind that pop in). They cost a bit more but will do you better in the long run:

If I were to get a dolly, I'd get straps and strap my amp to it so that when I needed to lift it for a sec the dolly wouldn't come out from under it.
  14. i'm sorry, but i needed to post this:

that is the most adoreable parapalegic bunny i have ever seen.