Additional Cab? A question of practicality.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Droog, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    So here is a question I pose to you folks who un-doubtably have more experiance and opinion than I. Do you really need that big of a stack? Once upon a time I was thinking of buying a 15" cab to add to my 410. "Boy" I says to myself "that would sure be a phat soundin' stack." Weeks go bye and soon months, I still kept planning on gettin that fancy 15, as you all know there are all kinds of interesting things that keep you from making purchases (investments as I like to call them). So in this time of 15-less-miniscule-bass rig practicing and such I also found my self going to shows and bars and other purveyors of live music. Many times I see that the bass player too dreampt of a 15, and lived that dream. But then I see that just maybe it doesn't F-ing matter.

You see, the bass that I hear coming through the PA is either a DI or a single mic on one of the cabs or combination of the two. I never see both cabs mic'ed, nor do I ever sit on the stage in front of the bass player to really bask in the behemoth rig. I can't really see the advantage of that addition cab. Sure as the bass player I can hear it but so what. Unless you are sitting infront of that huge stack ( it could be some 810 beast too) you are not ever really hearing it. There must be something to be said for having a rig that is adequate enough for me to hear, and if the band needs to hear more, well thats what monitors are for right? Is that 10 foot tall rig really doing anything for me besides making me feel tough? This is what I ask you folks, maybe I am just being naive, or just maybe I need to stop questioning trends and spend my god-damned money already.

2. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have gone through all kinds and sizes of rigs. The largest I had was a 6X10. I am now down to a 1X12 - Bergantino HT112 - and a QSC PLX 1202. I have found that this is plenty for my current playing.

Any gig that needs more than this would probably have some PA support. My Avalon U5 serves as both a great preamp and DI.

Many of the bass players I know around here are down-sizing their rigs. There's just no need to haul around all that stuff.
  3. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    My big rig days are over. I'm using a Berg HT112 and a Walter Woods Ultra and have no problem being heard and love my sound as much as ever.
  4. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Droog, without a doubt, the majority of the time you see a wall of SVT's onstage, it's more for their visual appeal. More and more of the big-touring acts are using in-ear monitors. Those who don't will often say their amp is mainly for onstage monitoring. I'd also guess that they have some of their bass pumped back at them though the front-wedge or side-fill monitors.

I mainly play clubs without PA support, so I need an amp that can put out some sound and that can handle a low-B string. I recently retired my 2 Ampeg BXT410HL's. 95% of the time one 4-10" cab was plenty volume-wise.

I recently downsized my cab setup. I'm the proud owner of a Bergantino HT210 & HT115 'stack'. But when I say 'stack', it's much more portable than my previous cab setup, even compared to one of my Ampeg cabs. The 2-10"/1-15" setup was recommended for the sound I was after out of my Roscoe 6, but I'm sure either the 2-10" or 1-15" alone will work fine in a small room.

If you're hearing yourself fine with your 4-10" my advice is that you either save your money or spend it on something you really need.

Best Regards, Art
  5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    all the opinions expressed so far are pretty much right on. the only thing i would ask you is what kind of head are you using/how many watts are you putting into that 4x10? If you are having trouble hearing yourself that might be a place to upgrade, if not, then forget it. you dont need that much amplification if your current rig handles all of your gigs.
  6. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    Mostly I posed the question for discussion. I realized that a big ol' stack is just no pointful for a guy like me. I play a 400+ through a Mesa 410. Plenty loud enough for me. Yes its is heavy but I dig the amp cuz of the sound not so much for the power. The last thing I need is more speaker to pack around. Probobly even dump the 410 eventually for something that can handle lower tunings better, we'll see. Thanks for the responses guys.
  7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    oh jeez, then forget it. you're stylin'. who needs to impress people with the size of your stack?
  8. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    Gee thanks :D Awefully nice of ya to say.
  9. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    Ok, so about a year has gone by. Thought I would dig this thread back up. Been playing quite a bit lately and I must say I am pretty convinced that an additional 15 is needed. I am not happy about it, but I think I need it.

As stated before a lot of club/bar gigs basically only have a PA to support vocals. The band provides the rest. That being said I feel like for the volume we are playing I am not quite getting the low end that I need. A few things to keep in mind, the guitar player is playing through a 100 watt Orange and we are tuned to CGCF. Now I love the punch and definition of the 410 but I feel like there needs to be more lows. In fact the couple gigs the sound guy has taken a DI from my amp and reinforced the low end with the house subs. How imasculating :D

So anyhow, thought I would repost on this old thread and show how my opinions have changed and see what you all thought. Any ideas on a single cab rather than hauling around two. The Mesa powerhouse comes to mind, but damn that is spendy.

10. Get ye to the Schroeder Mega Thread!
  11. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    You might not neccessarily need a 15 to get you the lows. I probably get more lows with my 2 4x10 setup than my 2x15 setup. A 2x12 or 2x10 might also give you that extra volume of low end.
  12. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    A 2x10 eh? You think that may help. I thought that I would need a larger speaker to get additional lows. Would not more 10's just have the same sound but louder? There is a nice deal on a Bag End 210 here in town, I may just have to check it out.
  13. millard

Jul 27, 2004
    Maybe you just need more cab...I recently was researching Bag End speakers and the ones in the slightly larger cabs seem to "go lower" -- remember, it is the mating of speaker to cabinet that produces the sound we love.

In this particular case it was the 15" in a slightly larger box, but I'm guessing the math works for other sizes. My Berg HT115 is in an "oversized" box and digs nice and low -- my Eden D210XLT can't get close. But the Eden is very compact -- the Berg box is about the same size and has only a single speaker (and tweeter). If you look at the Berg site, most of the cabinets seem bigger than they really need to be to hold the speakers. Given how good Jim is at this, I'm guessing there is a purpose behind that.

For my money and back strain, there will always be a 15" in my rig. To my ears and taste, a 4x10 by itself won't do it. I'm pretty happy with a 2x10 and 1x15 as a combo (though that Berg with 3 10s and a 15 looks pretty sweet).

14. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Although I hear many players downsizing, I don't ever see myself going smaller than either (2) 15s, or a 15 and a 410... I play mostly hard rock and heavy metal, and some of the places I play don't always offer enough bass support from the front end - so, I like to be prepared... Besides, just because I have that much cab, doesn't always mean I have to use it... Really, a head, a 1 15, and a 410 isn't all THAT much to move around, IMO... YMMV, though...

- georgestrings