Additional Cabnets?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ThePez, Oct 28, 2000.

1. I have a Vintage SWR Redhead (240 watts). Now what would be the better choice for and additional cabnet to that? 1x15 or 4x10? I really like the Triade, but that's alot of chedder! Break me off some advice please. :)

p.s. I got 4ohms to work with.
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd put the 15 under it. Of course, it'd be better with the Triad.
  3. What kind of tone are you looking for? A tight jazz sound, or deep rumble? If the first go with the 4*10, if the second go with the 1*15.
  4. Somewhere in between, I guess. Looks like I better go with the Triade! :D
  5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Try taking your bass and amp to a music store and playing it hooked up to a bunch of different cabs. It should give you a better idea of what to get.
  6. That's a good idea.

Word to ya mutha!
  7. I like the mix of my Trace Elliot 1x15 combo on top of a 2x10 but that's just personal taste. The SWR with either a 2x10 or a 1x15 will sound sweet and plus you have portability and power. My $0.02
  8. But what about the fact that 4x10's move more air and are therefore "louder"? "Loudness" is a concern because my amp is only 240watts. I don't know if I'm convinced that it could push the internal 2x10's plus a external 1x15 or if I would have enough head room to sound good and not overdriven. What do you think?

Zoomboy, how many watts is your T.E. 1x15 combo?
  9. Pez,
    AFAIK, your Redhead is 240 watts into 8 ohms, and 350 into 4 ohms.. like my old Hartke 2x10 combo. When you add an extension speaker, you'll have a 4-ohm load and thus you'll get the full 350 watts. So don't worry about being able to push an extension cab.
  10. I think that's on the new Super Redhead. I have a vintage Redhead and it's only rated at 240. I hope I'm wrong, I would love to have the extra wattage, but I don't know if that is the case with mine.

p.s. Is the CD in the mail yet? :)
    and what does AFAIK stand for?
  11. The CD is in the mail, you should get it today!
    AFAIK stands for As Far As I Know.
  12. Cool man, I'm really looking forward to it. Thanks.
  13. Hey Pez sorry I didn't reply sooner. I think my TE combo is rated at 290w RMS and 580w peak (I still don't know what that means but whatever). With my current setup, I get plenty of headroom and being heard hasn't ever been an issue. My rig is loud and clean. My last band was a hard rock gig and I was competing with 2 100w stacks and a hard hitting drummer. I was ofen asked to turn down even though I'd only be on 2. I probably should have bought a TE head and 2 cabs but I got such a deal on the combo I couldn't pass it up. I wanted something that sounded great that I could fit in my car and move by myself if needed. The Redhead was also on my very short list of amps to look at for the same reasons that made me buy the TE. You've got a great sounding amp to build off of so pushing the 10's plus whatever you decide to add shouldn't be a problem. SWR makes some really efficient stuff.
  14. Ok, thanks Zoom.