1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Additional [Clean] Preamp Pedal with VT Bass Deluxe - Success?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MicG, Jul 5, 2012.

1. MicG

MicG Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2006
    Garden City, Michigan
    So I was wondering with all the recent discussion here on Talkbass of the Eden WTDI, and past discussions of the Tone Hammer, Sadowsky Outboard Pre, etc. -Do any of these preamp/DI pedals sound decent when running parallel with a VTD? Are they redundant at all given the EQ control of the VT or do they add anything to the sound? Has anyone tried this?

The scenarios would be

A) recording: two channels with channel A having the Ampeg SVT/VT saturated bass grit thing and channel B just clean using one of the aforementioned pedals.

B) live: VTD drives power amp (i.e. Drivecore) through channel A while one of the above pedals in discussion drives channel B either by itself or with the help of a booster.

Personally, scenario A would be more realistic at this time for me, but I'm just curious.

Any thought?

2. MicG

MicG Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2006
    Garden City, Michigan
    Morning Bump

3. Are you using two seperate rigs for option B?

4. MicG

MicG Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2006
    Garden City, Michigan
    Kenner: It'd be 1 power amp with two separate channels being driven

5. I would suppose you could use the parallel out (unaffected) to another pedal...

I typically have a super clean channel dedicated on my VTD...but, I've found that it makes a difference on which bass I am playing.

6. I guess you'd probably have to get a splitter before your effects.... I'm guessing you are running each channel in mono?

7. MicG

MicG Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2006
    Garden City, Michigan
    Mono is correct. I thought rather than a splitter I could just use the parallel out on the VTD though?

8. I can't see why that wouldn't work...kinda cool too because in the studio, you would have two outputs to the board...the direct out XLR is what I use for the shows in which I use my poweramp and Schroeder cab...I use the direct out on my GK for the other rig...both very clean

9. MicG

MicG Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2006
    Garden City, Michigan
    not ready to let this die -Bump!

10. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Commercial User

Aug 17, 2010
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    Just try it. You already have the VT Bass Deluxe right? The parallel out is a buffered direct out. Just run that to one channel of your DAW and the the VTD SansAmp out to a different channel and blend the 2. This is a common studio technique. We offer this feature with our Bass Driver and Para Driver DI pedals. It's the "blend" control.

For live, you will most likely need some EQ for the parallel out if you are sending that to another bass rig. The Tone Hammer, Sadowsky, our Para Driver DI or any EQ pedal will work for that.