Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Additional power amp for my SM400?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ButtBass, Feb 4, 2002.

1. ButtBass

ButtBass

Nov 14, 2001
    I am currently running a SM400 with a 210XLT. I am really liking it but I am finding that I don't have as much headroom as I would like. I am planning on getting a David Eden 15 and I am really doubting that I will have enough power for that. I really like the head I am running so the question I want to ask is can I get an additional power amp and run it along with my current rig? When it comes to tech stuff I am a little slow.

2. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Are you running the head bridged?

3. Is it an SM 400, or an SM 400-S?

Anyway, for a power amp if you could find a SWR Stereo 800 it would be sweet. Then you could use the power from the SM for a monitor (someday).

I always bridge the amps.

I run a SWR 2x10 with my SM 400-S (8 ohm/@400 watts) volume at 2:00 and it doesn't get that loud because there's not enough air being pushed. Hooked up to an 8x8 (4 ohm/500 watts min.) and it's plenty loud with plenty of headroom at 12:00.

I have also used it with an 8 ohm 2x10 with a 8 ohm 1x15 (bridged, of course) and it sounded sweet.

4. ButtBass

ButtBass

Nov 14, 2001
    It's a SM 400, no "S". I curently only have 1 speaker, I am totally confused when it comes to this stuff. I am only running one speaker with the bananna part of the cable in the head and the quarter in my speaker if that helps any. Sorry for my lack of knowledge.

5. ihixulu

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    If you're coming off the banana plug, then you are running it bridged.

What kind of music are you playing? A 2 10 cab on its own is going to limit you in terms of volume. I run my SM400 bridged into 1 410 and I haven't run out of steam yet in various musical situations.

6. ButtBass

ButtBass

Nov 14, 2001
    My 2 main gigs are a rock band and a gospel type one. The rock band is very Extreme like and the gospel gig is very contemporary sounding, alot of Delerious, Darrel Evans etc. type stuff. For the church gig I find the 210 great because I am never really pumping the amp hard and I can get great tone, but the rock one.... I need more guts. Thats why I want the 15. I can hear myself loud enough but I don't have the guts in my sound that I would like to have. The other thing was that I have to drive my amp too hard. Playing with a Marshall stack will make you have to do that. I just want to have some more headroom but I like my current head, thats why I want to know if I can get an additional power amp.

7. ihixulu

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    I would suggest a 410 over 15, since you like the sound you're getting out of the 10's. IME, I've found that 10's cut better, allow you to hear yourself at a closer distance and if you go for a quality cab (SWR, Eden, Aguilar, etc....) you should be able to compete with a Marshall. Also, the better cabs can put out a ridiculous amount of low end. The downside of course is weight.

One band I was with for a while had 2 Marshall half stacks, playing a rap-core type thing. One of the power amps in the 400 was damaged due to an accident and I couldn't get it repaired in time for a show so I ran my EV210 and Ampeg 410 both off one side. I had to push the amp harder than usual but I was able to get a good amount of oomph out of it even then and I didn't notice a lack of headroom.

What settings are you using for the rock gig?

8. ButtBass

ButtBass

Nov 14, 2001
    Gain at about 10 or 11 and master at 9 o clock. I used to run gain at about 7 and master at whatever volume I wanted but I found I liked the sound of more gain.

9. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I would add a 410 to that rig before I worried about another power amp. You would be surprised at how much difference four additional speakers will make as far as volume.

Remember that loudness is a factor of the power output AND the number of speakers.

If you do want to use another power amp, you can run a line from the SWRs preamp/lineout to another power amp and use that power amp to power your new cabinet. This will give you the SWR tone out of the whole rig.

10. ihixulu

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    From what you've written, I don't think you're anywhere near maxing out the head... get a 410XLT, run it off the bridge and you'll be amazed, even by itself.

FWIW, I run my gain hotter, usually around 1 or 2 o'clock (active bass into passive input), I don't trigger the pre clip light. I find I rarely turn the master above 2 (out of 10) when using the Aggie 410 for most situations, and up to about 4 (out of 10) for pretty loud gigs.