Additions for my Miles collection?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Sonorous, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I've got Bitches Brew, Sketches of Spain, and a Live in Munich DVD. All three are pretty different, and I like them all. What other albums would you recommend making it a priority to get?
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I have a bias for his fusion period. From that period, I would suggest Pangaea and In a Silent Way.
  3. a tirbute to jack johnson is brilliant. electric but not as out there as bitches brew. real solid playing by everyone.
  4. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    From his "second great quintet" of '63-'68, I would pick 'Miles Smiles', which is chock full of tunes that every jazzer needs to know, as well as 'Nefertiti'.

From his '69-'75 fusion period, I can recommend 'In a Silent Way' (the complete IASW sessions boxed set if you can stretch to it), 'It's About That Time' (NOT easy listening ;-)) and 'Agharta', which I consider to be his best electric album. Recorded on the same day as 'Pangaea', which Abark has already recommended. Abark, have you read 'Miles Beyond' by Paul Tingen? It's THE book on electric Miles. I have to agree with Tingen's comments that 'Pangaea' runs out of steam too soon.
  5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Yes, I've read it. Towards the end of the second disc, it gets a little slow, but the rest of the disc and the first disc are amazing. I have Agharta and it seems like a tame version of Pangaea. Pangaea is has a kind of primal, brooding quality that makes it one of my favorite pieces of music of all time.
  6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
  7. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I like & own all the suggestions.

If he has Bitches Brew, Sketches Of Spain, & Live In Munich(IIRC, this is with the 2nd Great 5-tet, right?)...he does need some Coltrane & Miles, be it Kind Of Blue or Milestones or the Live In Stockholm album(where Miles' chops are possibly at their height).

...and you can't go wrong with any of the 2nd Great 5-tet albums-
    ESP, Miles Smiles, Nefertiti, Live At The Plugged Nickel, etc.
  8. SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    If you're into Miles, you Have to get

Kind Of Blue

9. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Kind of Blue, of course.

Also, Milestones! Coltrane smokes on this as well.
  10. I like Blue Moods a lot, i don't think it's one of his more famous recordings, but i kinda like it because miles plays with mingus on bass
  11. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    That's easy - you Have to get this dvd...
    Miles: Electric, A Different Kind of Blue

iT rAwKs
  12. As has been suggested, Pangea, Kind Of Blue and Miles Smiles are all damn fine:)
  13. Milestones, Miles Smiles, Miles in the Sky, Four and More, Birth of the Cool, Live at Newport, On the Corner, LIve Evil
  14. gdawg27

Jan 12, 2006
    Kind of Blue is a no brainer. I'd also suggest On the Corner and The Complete Concert: 1964 (My Funny Valentine & "Four More".

I suggest listening to Kind of Blue before listening to The Complete Concert.
  15. EmmSee

May 23, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Kind of Blue .. obviously!

16. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Thanks guys. I think I'll check out these suggestions on and pick three or four for now and then go from there.
  17. oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Kind of Blue
    In a Silent Way
    Live Around the World
  18. It's funny , critics and Miles himself have mostly always enjoyed his calmer, quiter, more subtle ballads and stuff. However, I like his faster more fierce stuff more. Four & More is dang fast it's freaking AWESOME!
  19. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Tony Williams really propels Four & More.

I bought the above as part of The Complete Concert: 1964(mentioned above, you get Four & More + My Funny Valentine).
    You can also buy each seperately for about $10 each...I've seen both at
  20. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Talking about Tony Williams, I really like the track "Seven Steps to Heaven" on the Miles album of the same name!

This was the first track that Miles cut with Williams (and Herbie and Ron Carter) and it is great to hear the 17 year-old on what is basically a "drum feature "

Miles says in the liner notes about Tony Williams "He just lit a big fire under everyone in the group..." :)