Address of venue tonight?

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by c-ba55, Aug 11, 2004.

1. So the show is at this place called Strings? The website doesn't have an address. It's not in the yellow pages. the phone number on your site (but not theirs!) just goes to a message that says "We are not available. Please leave a message and we will get back to you."

Hunting through the web, I found one reference to "the underground venue, Strings" at 6320 San Pablo. Is that right? It's pretty far underground if your fans can't even find out how to get there!
  2. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Yeah, sorry about that, c-ba55. Strings is a little different kind of place as it's sort of semi-private. The address you have is correct and the phone number listed on my web site (510-653-5700) is the most recent I have and probably right, too. Please be forwarned that there isn't a sign out front or any real indication that there's a show going on! In spite of all this, it's a wonderful, homey little place that's really fun for doing informal shows. Folks sit on couches and there are pot luck sort of snacks during the intermission when you can wander around in the garden. They generally cater to a clientele that is familiar with the place and they don't really advertise as the shows are usually pretty well attended. I hope you won't be put off by their unusual style as we'd love to have you there and I think you'll feel quite welcome. Who knows, yo might even become a regular!
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah, that was a pretty strange venue, I kind of felt like I was crashing someone's party, me and my date just sat in the corner and tried not to be intrusive to everyone else that seemed to be best friends!

When I called them, the guy(owner?) totally gave me the cold shoulder on UNTIL I said "michael manring" then he instantly was giving me all the info I needed to get there :p

It was a great show michael! I wish I could have stayed after and said hi, but I was immensely tired from the 6 hour drive it took to get there. oh well, maybe next time.

I really enjoyed it though, and it looked like you guys were having some fun up there. The music was the only thing keeping me awake, and even then it was something of a struggle, particularly on some of the more soothing tracks, your solo set definitely woke me up though that was great!.

It definitely seemed like an amazing venue though if you were with the "in" crowd, people there seemed like they really enjoyed being there, very comfortable, very friendly. I hope I make it back there sometime in the future, maybe I'll try and meet some people(won't be so tired)

I'm curious though, is strings technically the owner's house or something? I thought I over-heard someone talking to him about his garden and how he lives either behind it or in the area. If it's his house then that makes a lot more sense, eitherway, I hope my donations find their way somewhere useful :p
  4. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Wow! 6 hours – thanks so much for making the drive, Wrong Robot. I don't blame you for being tired! I'm glad you enjoyed Strings. If you do make it back I definitely encourage you to strike up conversations with some of the regulars. They're a friendly bunch and interesting folks, too. I swing by myself when I can make it. They do evenings called "Visual Concerts" which are a lot of fun. A photographer shows slides of his/her work and musicians play live soundtracks. I don't think that Joey lives there now, but he might have in the past.