Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ADGC

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Gopher Bob, Nov 1, 2002.

1. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    How to tune down a 5th... supposedly ADGC.... I have a korg GA-30.

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    ADGC is normally the same as the top three strings from standard tuning + another string, tuned a further fourth up (ie. the top four strings of a standard six string bass).

Are you sure you mean to tune down not up? The tuning I described above is called 'tenor' bass - I guess the same thing down an octave would be 'contratenor' bass or something :confused:

Whether you're going up or down, that sort of interval probably demands a new set of strings. Anything but the heaviest gauges will be extremely floppy by the time you've tuned them down ... and you'd need a pretty light gauge set of strings to avoid them going snap on the way up.

I don't know the details of the tuner you mention, but you might find it easier to tune the lower notes using the harmonic at the 12th (or even 5th) fret.

Hope that helps,

Wulf

3. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    nope.. i mean down...

"Artist: Fear Factory
    Song: "Shock"
    Album: "Obsolete"
    Label: Roadrunner Records, copyright 1998, (The All-Blacks B.V.)
    Tune all strings down a perfect fifth (A, D, G, C)"

4. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Hmmnnn... maybe that's in order to get the tone of excessively detuned strings. Taking them down won't hurt, so give it a try (using the harmonic trick above to help get them in tune). If they get so floppy that you can't even get a usable harmonic off them you'll either have to try and do it by ear or get heavier gauge strings.

Hope you've got hefty amp and some heavy duty speakers ;)

Wulf